Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

iPhone Calendar no longer syncs with Mac & vice versa (local syncing – not iCloud)

I have been syncing calendars between my iPhone and my Macbook Pro peer-to-peer (i.e. not using iCloud) for years. These are not Outlook calendars or anything server/network related, just locally created calendars.

Since I upgraded to OS X Ventura, calendars no longer sync between the devices. The syncing process seems to go through the motions, but the calendars on either the iPhone or the Mac don't update with each other's events. (Music files seem to sync OK).

In addition to this, after applying the security update to OS X 13.4 last week, a new message started appearing in the Finder iPhone window under 'Info' saying "iPhone is syncing Calendars over the air" and "Over-the-air sync settings can be changed on your iPhone."

I've looked on my phone, but I can't see anywhere that I can change these mysterious settings. I've no idea what it means, but it's not something that I have changed manually. I've tried creating new calendars on the phone and Mac, but these aren't recognised across the devices either.

Just to clarify, I don't use iCloud and never have done and I don't want to, (so please no iCloud related suggestions). I just want to be able to sync my calendar events locally between the Mac and iPhone like I've been doing for years.

Any suggestions for getting this working again would be great.

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 9:27 PM

4 replies

Jun 4, 2023 1:27 AM in response to whatdoesthistake?

These don't sync between devices Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos, and emails. Each device syncs to the email account server which may be Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo, or any Other. Please see the pic below

If one of the devices is not connected to the internet then it may seem to you that they are not syncing.

Apr 18, 2024 6:48 AM in response to whatdoesthistake?

I also have preferred to use Calendar on Mac, and Sync them only to iPhone for several years on several different Macs and iPhones without problems. Now when clicking on the Info Button in Finder when iPhone is attached by USB Cable, it just says Turn off Calendar or Contacts in iCloud Settings. Have tried that, but without success. I don’t mind using iCloud, but still want to type Calendar Dates/Appointments into Calendar on my Desktop Mac, because I prefer the Keyboard and Large Screen, but definitely want to see them on my iPhone when out and about. Like you, I did without iCloud for years, and managed with a wired connection. WiFi is OK, but this seems a backward and restrictive step.

iPhone Calendar no longer syncs with Mac & vice versa (local syncing – not iCloud)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.