Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Merging my Macbook Photos library which is not connected to iCloud to my existing iPhone iCloud photos

Hi,

I am using iCloud for my iPhone photos since several years. All my photos are in iCloud and my iPhone. Now I have a lot of old archived photos on a Macbook Photos library. I have turned on iCloud on my Macbook but I see nothing being uploaded on the iCloud site.

So I have two questions:

1) What will happen if I connect my Macbook library to existing libarairy on iCloud (my iPhone photos): I expect a merge of both librairies

2) what is the procedure since just turning iCloud on my Macbook preferences seems not to give any result

I am using a Macbook Pro 2015 and an iPhone 14 Pro.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 1:35 PM

1. They should merge with all photos syncing with iCloud and with both devices.
  2. Turning on iCloud Photos is the only thing you should have to do.

Note that it may take a long time (days in some cases)to sync the first time, especially if you have a lot of photos. You can check the status on your Mac by opening the Photos app, click Library in the sidebar and then scroll to the bottom.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2023 1:35 PM in response to Badredine

1. They should merge with all photos syncing with iCloud and with both devices.
  2. Turning on iCloud Photos is the only thing you should have to do.

Note that it may take a long time (days in some cases)to sync the first time, especially if you have a lot of photos. You can check the status on your Mac by opening the Photos app, click Library in the sidebar and then scroll to the bottom.

Merging my Macbook Photos library which is not connected to iCloud to my existing iPhone iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.