Reset macOS Without Knowing AppleID

I have a Mac that's not part of our business manager/MDM solution. The user that had this Macbook used a strange email address and domain:

When trying to boot into recovery mode, I get an Activation Lock screen that asks for the Apple ID used on this computer.

Since I don't know the AppleID, I run the process to try to root out the AppleID, but I can't get that done. So, I run the Erase Mac option in the Recovery Assistant, which tells me "If you are unable to unlock this Mac, you can fully erase it and resintall macOS. This will delete all media..." then it basically lets me know that I'll be able to reactivate and reinstall macOS.

I click Erase Mac and the procedure starts and the Macbook eventually restarts, as does the AppleID procedure, seems that we are unable to get away from needing this AppleID.

What am I missing here?

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 12:39 PM

I would suggest you look at the information contained in the links below. There are no workarounds or bypasses for Activation Lock. It appears the Mac in question is still enabled for Find My location services.

Activation Lock for Mac - Apple Support

If you forget your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Reset macOS Without Knowing AppleID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.