AppleTV does not ask for wifi password

I have been trying to connect my AppleTV to a new wifi network in my home. It is an FX2000 connected to US Cellular. My Mac and iPhone have no problem because they ask for the password. However, AppleTV never asks for a password when I try to connect. It simply tells me the password is incorrect. I have reset the AppleTV and I've verified the Wifi is WPA 3/WPA 2 Transition. I have also tried to connect to my iPhone (Verizon) hotspot and have the same problem. When I connect hardwire with an ethernet cable, it works fine. (but I am unable to keep the ethernet connected permanently for logistical reasons) Please help.

Apple TV (3rd generation)

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 12:47 AM

1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users has to set ‘WPA2’-only first, then it would work.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 12:47 AM in response to 2ND

1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users has to set ‘WPA2’-only first, then it would work.

Mar 20, 2024 5:25 AM in response to Hiapple123Ann

Same as for the others:

- What is your model Apple TV box? [1] [2]

- Have you tried the 3 steps as described in the first reply? What were the outcomes?

- Remember that passwords are case-sensitive (e.g. dcf6x6qfueqg is not DCF6X6QfUeQG).

- Is this for your own home network? Corporate/​hotel/​edu Wi-Fi environments may have a captive portal, which is not easily compatible unless your unit runs tvOS 15.4 or later, and you have your iPhone with you.

AppleTV does not ask for wifi password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.