📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV WiFi connection issues

When connecting my appleTV to my WiFi network I get message saying “there was a problem connecting to the network. The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try again (-100)”.

It doesn’t give me an option to enter a password or to forget network. I tried renaming my network and resetting my router without any luck.

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 2:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 8:49 AM

There is no option to forget network. If I select a neighbor’s WiFi it does prompt to enter a password. When I select my network I just get the error message “there was a problem connecting to the network. The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try again (-100)”.

since I’m not connected to my network it doesn’t let me forget a network it is not connected to. I have another applet tv connected to my WiFi without a problem, but it is this one that has issues. I guess in the past I probably has a different password and it’s trying to connect to my network with that old password without giving me an option to type a password. I read renaming the network and restarting the modem would help but it doesn’t.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2023 8:49 AM in response to Vancouver22

There is no option to forget network. If I select a neighbor’s WiFi it does prompt to enter a password. When I select my network I just get the error message “there was a problem connecting to the network. The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try again (-100)”.

since I’m not connected to my network it doesn’t let me forget a network it is not connected to. I have another applet tv connected to my WiFi without a problem, but it is this one that has issues. I guess in the past I probably has a different password and it’s trying to connect to my network with that old password without giving me an option to type a password. I read renaming the network and restarting the modem would help but it doesn’t.

Apr 4, 2024 1:44 PM in response to daniloe25

I have this EXACT same problem. I moved and set up my internet with a different provider, and originally even had a different name for the wifi but still got the error “There was a problem connecting to the network”, and it wouldn’t let me click on the network to type a password in or even forget it.

I tried to connect it to my hotspot but still got the same error. When trying neighbours wifis I am promoted to put a password, but don’t even have that option for my wifi, it automatically goes to the error screen.

I even tried to restore and reset the Apple TV but still getting the same error.

It’s advised to update software but how do I do that without being able to connect to the internet.

OP is you have solved it plz let me know I would appreciate it!

Dec 31, 2023 11:44 AM in response to daniloe25

Start by unplugging the Apple TV's power cord for about 2-3 minutes and then plug in and re-try. Another thing to do is unplug your modem and router from their power sources for 2-3 minutes and then plug back in and try again. Yes, even if all your other devices seem to work okay.

However, your issue may be that the Apple TV may not be close enough to your router to get a strong Wi-Fi signal. The way to test this to use a third party app such as iStumbler to check your wi-fi's strength.

You may be a good candidate to upgrade your network to a Mesh network if you have:

1. A router 5 years or older.
  2. Have added additional wi-fi devices to your old network
  3. You home is over 1500 sq. ft and or is multi-storied.

If you are not familiar with what a mesh network is there are many many articles available that you can read and then determine for yourself if you are a good candidate.

Dec 30, 2023 6:29 PM in response to daniloe25

See: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support for troubleshooting

To Forget network you might need to click on Network again to bring that option up.

On the Apple TV menu, go to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi. Select your current Wi-Fi network and click Forget Network. Press Menu or the Back button on your Apple TV Remote. Then select Network again and select your Wi-Fi network to connect.

Apple TV WiFi connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.