You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not....

Hi,

I have an issue with Face ID. Sometimes it works very good. But shortly after, it does not work.

I tried all things you can find on the web (set up Face ID again, restart, etc..). Nothing is working and making Face ID stable again.

I have updated my phone to the latest iOS available.

My feeling is that it is a hardware issue which is sometimes there and sometimes not.

How can i diagnose this properly and find out what the issue is?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 2:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 3:24 AM

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your message!

1. The issue is that sometimes FaceID works, and sometimes it just does not. And after while it works again. No real pattern in it unfortunately. I tried to discover the pattern but no luck. It can really be as simple as: Face ID works, (for example on signing in an app, I close the app and lock my phone, want to get into my phone again a couple of seconds later and Face ID stops working. Very annoying!
  2. I have done everything from restarting, hard reset, etc. but no luck
  3. My IOS version is 16.5 so this is the latest (which is also one of the steps I did)

I am beginning to think this is a hardware failure of the Face ID camera, something like a flat cable having a bad connection or something. But how can I check this? I guess I can't check this myself, right?

Thanks!

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2023 3:24 AM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your message!

1. The issue is that sometimes FaceID works, and sometimes it just does not. And after while it works again. No real pattern in it unfortunately. I tried to discover the pattern but no luck. It can really be as simple as: Face ID works, (for example on signing in an app, I close the app and lock my phone, want to get into my phone again a couple of seconds later and Face ID stops working. Very annoying!
  2. I have done everything from restarting, hard reset, etc. but no luck
  3. My IOS version is 16.5 so this is the latest (which is also one of the steps I did)

I am beginning to think this is a hardware failure of the Face ID camera, something like a flat cable having a bad connection or something. But how can I check this? I guess I can't check this myself, right?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2023 7:40 AM in response to alwinv

Hey there alwinv,

We'd like to help by learning more about what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. We understand that it occurs intermittently, but what exactly occurs when the issue presents itself with Face ID?
  2. When did this first start, and any steps tried already(like a restart)?
  3. Since you have a compatible iPhone model, the latest version is iOS 16.5. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then update: Update your iPhone or iPad

Cheers!

Face ID - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.