Text replacement bug?

Text replacement doesn’t work- when I write the shortcut, the full word is suggested to me in a smaller box next to the shortcut, but when I click on it- it just disappears without completing the word. This happens in browsers and in iPhone’s notes app. (-so it’s not a browser or compatibility thing). My iPhone is up to date iOS-wise. Thank you

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 2:15 PM

Hi tal106,

Rather than tapping on the full replacement suggestion, try simply pressing the spacebar after typing the text replacement phrase or shortcut and see if the replacement occurs as expected.

If the issue continues, verify if this is happening with a single text replacement or multiple, and try deleting and recreating one as a test to see if that changes the behavior. You may also need to verify that you're not using a third-party keyboard which may not trigger those replacements as expected, and confirm you're running iOS 16.5 which is the current latest iOS your device supports.

Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 2:15 PM in response to tal106

Hi tal106,

Rather than tapping on the full replacement suggestion, try simply pressing the spacebar after typing the text replacement phrase or shortcut and see if the replacement occurs as expected.

If the issue continues, verify if this is happening with a single text replacement or multiple, and try deleting and recreating one as a test to see if that changes the behavior. You may also need to verify that you're not using a third-party keyboard which may not trigger those replacements as expected, and confirm you're running iOS 16.5 which is the current latest iOS your device supports.

Regards.

Jun 7, 2023 1:36 PM in response to tal106

Hi there tal106,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We're happy to help.

We understand you're having an issue with Text Replacement in iOS. We're happy to help.

It's great troubleshooting that your device is updated. Has your iPhone been restarted lately? If not, a restart is a great step in troubleshooting as well:

1. "Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off.
  3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo."

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If you're still having an issue, we recommend getting ahold of Apple Support for additional troubleshooting: Get Support

Take care.

Text replacement bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.