Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the police crack open my iPhone 14 Pro Max?

My phone has been confiscated by the police in Malaysia

Its an iphone 14 pro max.

They dont have my password.

Are they able to crack open my phone using some advanced software to check my phone?

Because i asked around and they said they have advanced forensic software where they can crack open all types of phone including iphones with passord

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 1:34 PM

iPhone encryption is robust and secure, and Apple itself doesn’t have the ability to unlock a user’s iPhone if it’s protected by a passcode.

There have been instances where law enforcement agencies have reportedly used tools from third-party companies like Cellebrite or Grayshift to gain access to locked iPhones, but the effectiveness can vary. It’s also important to note that newer versions of iOS and newer iPhone models often come with increased security measures that can make these third-party tools less effective.

Moreover, while it’s technically possible that a very advanced agency might have the tools to access a locked iPhone, it’s also important to remember the legal constraints: law enforcement agencies are generally required to have a warrant or equivalent legal authority to search someone’s personal device, including phones.

So, while it might technically be possible for someone to gain access to a locked iPhone with very advanced tools, it’s certainly not easy, and there are legal and ethical considerations that also come into play. As technology advances, the specifics of these situations may change, so it’s always a good idea to stay up-to-date on your digital rights and the latest in technology news.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 1:34 PM in response to hamzah23

iPhone encryption is robust and secure, and Apple itself doesn’t have the ability to unlock a user’s iPhone if it’s protected by a passcode.

There have been instances where law enforcement agencies have reportedly used tools from third-party companies like Cellebrite or Grayshift to gain access to locked iPhones, but the effectiveness can vary. It’s also important to note that newer versions of iOS and newer iPhone models often come with increased security measures that can make these third-party tools less effective.

Moreover, while it’s technically possible that a very advanced agency might have the tools to access a locked iPhone, it’s also important to remember the legal constraints: law enforcement agencies are generally required to have a warrant or equivalent legal authority to search someone’s personal device, including phones.

So, while it might technically be possible for someone to gain access to a locked iPhone with very advanced tools, it’s certainly not easy, and there are legal and ethical considerations that also come into play. As technology advances, the specifics of these situations may change, so it’s always a good idea to stay up-to-date on your digital rights and the latest in technology news.

Jan 10, 2024 4:26 PM in response to hamzah23

100% possible, cellebrite which is a software company is Israel have sold there technology to lots of countries in the world. They have recently acquired the ability to unlock iPhone 14 Pro Max. They say it in there website and they can fully extract all Infomation, if law enforcement have taken your phone then they will have a warrant to access it. Check to see if Malaysia have purchased cellebrite. I’m sure they have. They lead the world in phone cracking especially iPhone.

iPhone 15 pro max I do not believe anyone can hack into as yet, Apple increased security heavily in iPhone 15 pro max and I’m yet to see an announcement that cellebrite can hack this software.

Jun 5, 2023 1:35 PM in response to hamzah23

..hamzah23..

Perhaps there may have been an increased margin of security from the forced access

some have tried; should the device have seen the most recent iOS update/upgrade

prior to confiscation or attempts to access contents by outsiders using modern tools.

While there is a good margin of security, hard to say to what depths some government

agency may go; also some regions could use harsher techniques of experimental type,

to attempt to force-access the iPhone build model & its iOS level in use, such as yours.

As not all iPhones could benefit from most recent security upgrade near iOS 16.5.x..

...The best you might do, may be to see how the unit might be accessed by you, with

iCloud.com & erased before any agency might get your personal private information.

That's where you'd use a Mac or PC + web browser, to login w/ your Apple credentials.

If not done correctly, this could remove any security the lost iPhone might already have.

(And your iPhone might then be totally lost to you, if this were done.)

That said, I'm not an expert by most definition. ~ Best of luck to you in any circumstance.

Can the police crack open my iPhone 14 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.