iMac Retina Mid 2017 (Fusion Drive) Recovery mode not working

Hi,

I got the above iMAC and I have a problem of accessing the Recovery mode of it.

I guess this happened after I tried to install Windows via BootCamp and then failed. (Allocated partition was recovered using bootcamp itself)

Neither of following doesn't work at the moment while booting with a Mac OS Ventura Bootable USB.

(Earlier I installed Ventura using the same method)

1. Command+R

2. Command+Option+R

3. Command+Shift+Option+R

I tried resetting NVRAM/PRAM & SMC too. That too doesn't work.

Now it's on Mac OS Ventura. What ever key combination I tried it always goes to the login screen now.

I checked whether there is a keyboard issue or a bootable USB issue but both have no issues.

Also when I checked the disk by diskutil list. That too shows recovery partition is fine. (As per my understanding,correct me if I am wrong) Figure attached.

I have already downloaded the Mac OS Ventura APP in to the applications. If I try to re-install it while inside the OS (without going to recovery mode), the recovery mode or recovery partition can be repaired?

Can you please suggest what I can do.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 10:35 PM

Plug in the charging cable to your wireless keyboard in order to make it a wired keyboard. Then restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R), continue to hold down the keystroke combo until it starts up. If after 4-5 minutes it still will not start then you have to face the possibility of a failed Fusion Drive and call AppleCare, use the following link for the phone number in your area: AppleCare Contact Info

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2023 10:35 PM in response to kasunds

Plug in the charging cable to your wireless keyboard in order to make it a wired keyboard. Then restart in the Recovery Partition (Command + R), continue to hold down the keystroke combo until it starts up. If after 4-5 minutes it still will not start then you have to face the possibility of a failed Fusion Drive and call AppleCare, use the following link for the phone number in your area: AppleCare Contact Info

iMac Retina Mid 2017 (Fusion Drive) Recovery mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.