Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

app store asks to use cellular data when on wifi

When I try and download new apps or update my current apps from the app store, I am shown the size of the download and asked if I want to use cellular data or download later on wi-fi even though I am on my home wi-fi network. If I click continue it downloads fine, even if I have cellular data turned off. I have restarted my phone, turned off and then back on my wi-fi, done speed tests to check the connection (with 800+ mbps), and still get the message.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 6:55 AM

That isn't the message that I get. The message I get is below. If I click download later on Wi-Fi, it does not update.

23 replies

Jun 6, 2023 7:29 AM in response to K_Hoff

Then nothing happens. The app(s) that have updates just change to darkened and say "Waiting" underneath.

Looks like it's looking for a connection.

Later on Wi-Fi doesn't mean Right away.

Try to do a force restart -> Force restart iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

See also -> If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services - Apple Support

👉 If you tried all of the above steps and you still can’t connect, contact Apple Support.

Jul 19, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Mac Jim ID

My issues was initially resolved by replacing my Xfinity modem/router and setting up a new network with the new modem/router, but the issue returned a few days ago. I haven’t had the time or patience to contact Xfinity to see if there is a solution that will last since the issue returned.

Further information - my issue was only occurring on my home network. I tried updating apps on two other public networks and did not have the issue on either. Apple support said that indicates it is a home WiFi issue and not an iPhone issue. Replacing the modem/router and having the issue resolved (temporarily) would support that assertion.

Aug 14, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Griffurbs

Good to know. Seems like something Xfinity needs to figure out with Apple. I’m seeing these threads pop up more often as more people get the new router so hopefully Xfinity is addressing it. Doesn’t seem to affect my network speeds, and now knowing your iPad situation I’m not very concerned that it’s actually using cellular instead of Wi-Fi.

Jan 24, 2024 4:36 PM in response to K_Hoff

I have just got a new phone because my other one messed up. I logged into my apple id etc. everything updated and some things were downloading. i’m doing this through mobile data and i’ve changed the settings in my settings but nothing has changed they just are stuck half way and won’t download anymore than they have.

app store asks to use cellular data when on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.