iCloud backup

I'm unable to backup my phone with iCloud, it says there isn't enough storage but I'm only using 851mb out of 5gb, does anyone know why this is happening?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 9:01 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2023 7:23 AM in response to Johne154

I manage all my data, download my own photos, and only backup when I need to update a device or am getting ready to buy a new device and eliminate an old one. I have 301.5MB out of 5GB which is mostly some documents. This multi-daily message that my backup is not working drives me nuts! It sends me texts, it shows up as message notification on my Settings pretty much all the time. I'm certainly not going to spend $240/year to make the notifications go away.

Jun 13, 2023 6:02 AM in response to Katiebrooks179

Yes, this happened to me and I discovered there’s a whole lot of system files being backed up too, so that in case anything goes wrong, you can restore your machine (or a replacement) with everything, photos, videos, passwords, messages, mail, and more. Also, that 5GB is shared between ALL of your Apple devices combined, not just you MacBook. So, if you have an iPhone, it’s needing some of that space, too.

My solution was to get an Individual Apple One subscription (less than $20 a month), which besides getting more iCloud storage space, includes Apple TV+, Apple Music, and Apple Arcade. I don’t play game plays, so I thought I’d never use Apple Arcade. I discovered that some of my favorite card and board games are in there, and without that Apple Arcade in the plan, those would cost me separately.

All in all, I’m quite certain you’ll be very happy with an Individual Plan and the peace of mind that your data is safe.

iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.