Finder is extremely slow in Mac M1

Finder is extremely slow at copying, moving, and unzipping files. The speed is much faster when I do it over the terminal. It seems like there is a bug. This is quite disappointing, as I am using a Mac M1 which is supposed to be really fast.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 6:00 AM

Hi. I run the EtreCheck, but it said that there is nothing wrong in my computer.

That's not what it does. It just shows the current status of everything on your Mac. Reviewing all of those details might give a clue as to why you are having a problem nobody else seems to have.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jun 7, 2023 8:58 AM in response to laastcall

I've been using an M1 Mini for over a year and don't see anything slow down.

I zipped a 330MB folder and it took a few seconds. It unzipped almost instantly.

If you are copying to the same volume on your startup drive, it should be instantaneous as it would be using copy-on-write. The copy is just a reference until you edit it. At that point it copies to a new storage location.

Are you moving and copying to an external drive? What format is the drive and how is it connected? If USB3, are you really getting USB3 from the connection? Some hubs will downgrade the entire bus to USB2 if there are any USB2 or USB1 devices connected.

You can view that in System Information (hold option key when selecting Apple menu). Select USB and look for the bus your drive is connected. Does it show Up to 5Gb/s or 480Mb/s?

Jun 8, 2023 1:32 AM in response to laastcall

laastcall wrote:

Yes, I migrated from an older Mac. I followed the steps in the link you sent but I cannot see any change. I am not sure if it doing the reindexing in the background, because I cannot see a progress bar or anything similar

It does happen in the background with no indication of progress, and can take a long time if there are externally hosted files

Finder is extremely slow in Mac M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.