Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

iMac not updating saying error code 1004

Hi i have a late 2009 iMac and every time i try to update on os x El Capitan i sign in and it just says error code 1004 and i have reset all the drives and i still cant update it or sign in to the mac.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 11:20 AM

Hi there Randomname1936,

If you are unable to use or update this iMac, the steps in this helpful article can resolve what's happening: If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If you are still unable to update the Mac using safe mode, macOS Recovery or the other recommendations from that, then create and use a bootable installer next to see if OS X El Capitan will install successfully. This shows how to do this: Create a bootable installer for macOS

If you are still unable to update to OS X El Capitan, contact Apple Support next. They would be the best suited to investigate this issue further and look into your available options.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2023 11:20 AM in response to Randomname1936

Hi there Randomname1936,

If you are unable to use or update this iMac, the steps in this helpful article can resolve what's happening: If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If you are still unable to update the Mac using safe mode, macOS Recovery or the other recommendations from that, then create and use a bootable installer next to see if OS X El Capitan will install successfully. This shows how to do this: Create a bootable installer for macOS

If you are still unable to update to OS X El Capitan, contact Apple Support next. They would be the best suited to investigate this issue further and look into your available options.

Cheers!

iMac not updating saying error code 1004

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.