Any limitation for display connection on macbook pro?

'm trying to connect 2 displays to macbook pro with M1, 2021. I need to use them to extend desktop, not to mirror. For that I have the following adapter, which claims to give dual monitor.

However, the most I can achieve is mirroring mode, from which I conclude that there is a limitation in usb-c port or macbook video adapter to use single usb-c port per display. It means if I want to have extending mode, I need to use two usb-c ports(which obviously tested and works). Can someone confirm this limitation?

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:00 AM

Peter Robins wrote:

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock - Apple (DE)
Would this Dock allow connecting two displays with unique desktops each?

yes, that Caldigit is a genuine ThunderBolt Dock.

The first Dock you referenced is a StarTech USB-C Dock. Their ad on US Amazon states: "MacBook compatibility limited to single monitor".

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Peter Robins

Peter Robins wrote:

CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock - Apple (DE)
Would this Dock allow connecting two displays with unique desktops each?

yes, that Caldigit is a genuine ThunderBolt Dock.

The first Dock you referenced is a StarTech USB-C Dock. Their ad on US Amazon states: "MacBook compatibility limited to single monitor".

Jun 7, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Peter Robins

<< What does it mean "first device" ? >>

Put your hand on the genuine ThunderBolt (not just USB-C) cable out of the Mac. The first device is the next physical thing down the cable away from the Mac.

• it can be a genuine ThunderBolt DOCK

• it can be a genuine Thunderbolt DISPLAY, some of which have additional ports and can support a secondary display.

Any limitation for display connection on macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.