Apple Watch Ultra from China - does the eSIM functionality work abroad?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in China and would like to buy an Apple Watch Ultra. I’ve been to 2 different Apple stores. While the guy in the first store told me that the watch should be fully functioning abroad. The guy in the second store said, that the cellular functionality via eSIM may not work when I’m back in Europe. Does anyone have experience with using eSIM from Europe in Chinese Apple products?

Many thanks in advance,

Max

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 8:30 AM

There are 2 different cellular radios used in Apple Watch models.

• The Canada, U.S., Mexico, Puerto Rico model
  • The model for the rest of the world.

However, there are other things to consider.

• The warranty will only be valid for China
  • There may be feature restrictions places on Apple Watches sold in China that will follow the Apple Watch to different countries. This is a list of all the country specify features. watchOS - Feature Availability - Apple . If the China Apple Watch does not list a feature that would be available in your country, you will never have that feature in a China Apple Watch.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2023 8:30 AM in response to maximilian267

There are 2 different cellular radios used in Apple Watch models.

• The Canada, U.S., Mexico, Puerto Rico model
  • The model for the rest of the world.

However, there are other things to consider.

• The warranty will only be valid for China
  • There may be feature restrictions places on Apple Watches sold in China that will follow the Apple Watch to different countries. This is a list of all the country specify features. watchOS - Feature Availability - Apple . If the China Apple Watch does not list a feature that would be available in your country, you will never have that feature in a China Apple Watch.

Jun 7, 2023 8:24 AM in response to maximilian267

A couple things to consider. If you will be for the most part living in Europe after leaving China, wait till you get back to Europe to buy your watch. Apple Watch is sold regionally, and while it's possible the cellular bands in Europe, will be compatible with a watch purchased in China, you won't have ANY warranty on a watch purchased in China, in Europe. Think about whether it would be worth it to buy it now, when waiting a couple months could remove any barriers or issues from usability or warranty.

Apple Watch Ultra from China - does the eSIM functionality work abroad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.