HP printer won't connect on macOS Big Sur

I've been using OSX 11.7.6 with a HP color laserjet cp5225 for about a year. Today that printer won't connect. I downloaded the HP Easy Start 2 but the only printer it shows is my black & white hp 5200. Have tried multiple times - restarting computers, printers, network - nothing works. I can still print on the 5200 though.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 8:02 AM

Add the printer using open source drivers.

Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printers.

In the bottom of the printer list there is a + and -. Click on the + with the Option key on your keyboard held down.

As long as your printer is on the same WiFi network (your cell phone can print to it if sharing the WiFi network the computer is on), or connected via USB, the printer will come up for addition.

At that point the new drivers may be able to work.

Also keep in mind the printer may not add itself as color if the color ink cartridge or head is clogged. Be sure to have fresh color ink that is less than 2 years old.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 8:02 AM in response to rivref

Add the printer using open source drivers.

Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printers.

In the bottom of the printer list there is a + and -. Click on the + with the Option key on your keyboard held down.

As long as your printer is on the same WiFi network (your cell phone can print to it if sharing the WiFi network the computer is on), or connected via USB, the printer will come up for addition.

At that point the new drivers may be able to work.

Also keep in mind the printer may not add itself as color if the color ink cartridge or head is clogged. Be sure to have fresh color ink that is less than 2 years old.

HP printer won't connect on macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.