New M2 MacBook Pro 2023 is missing Ukrainian Letter - щ

Hello: I just purchased my new M2 MacBook Pro 2023, added Ukrainian QWERTY Input Source (I need to type a lot in Ukrainian) but noticed that the letter щ is completely missing from the keyboard. I asked my friend who has an older macbook pro - M1 2021, - it also missing that letter. I checked and that letter is showing up on Russian keyboard, on the button with tilde or tick. I am sure this could be added to the key with closing bracket, the one with }]. It is very difficult to type without that letter, because it forces us to switch to Russian and add that letter.

Can that be fixed please? Or, am I doing something wrong that I dont see it?

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 7:30 PM

10 replies

Jun 8, 2023 4:58 AM in response to vvoloshinov

Thank you so much Tom, for quick reply and the hint! I definitely did not check the Option when Keyboard Viewer is opened! I checked now and I see even more "missing" letters I was looking for :)

Thank you so much! This works for me, though, I will still check with Apple to see if they can just add it to the long press of ш as they do with, say, і (where they show ї on long press). It would have been just more convenient :)

But, with Option key it is still better than switching to a completely different language just to get the letter, as I was doing :)

Thank you again and have a blessed day!

Jun 8, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom: yes, I did try that but, since I type well using English keyboard and I am also fluent in Ukrainian, it is very natural to type without looking at the keyboard when letters pretty much match English keyboard layout, with an exception, of course, of a few letters such as щ. I agree that switching to "Ukrainian" or "Ukrainian Legacy" is a good alternative solution, just not convenient :)

But, I really do appreciate all of the hints and options you had provided already. It is always good to know more than one way to perform certain function at hand.

I also provided a feedback to Apple and see if it is possible to assign the щ to ш. I am sure this could be added to the long-press (holding down) on a ш letter which would (should) show/display a secondary key variations of that letter, like holding down “i” to get “ї”. I also wish it was an option for users to modify that as needed :) but, I am sure providing such capability would allow some users to completely mess things up lol ;)

Anyway, thanks again for great support! I appreciate you!

:)

Jun 8, 2023 6:09 AM in response to vvoloshinov

vvoloshinov wrote:

I also wish it was an option for users to modify that as needed

Yes, that would be a great feature. It used to be that users to do this themselves by editing a file, but I think recent updates have probably made it impossible. See

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/408877/how-to-add-characters-accents-to-the-press-and-hold-character-picker-in-macos

New M2 MacBook Pro 2023 is missing Ukrainian Letter - щ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.