usb hub

Hi friends,

I just wondered if the type of usb hub you connect to your mac actually matters and here's why.

I run a mac mini, and previously an iMac.

Both had an Anker Powered usb hub attached and into that were a couple of external HDD's Both WD Passports.

One of them (formatted ex-FAT) was forever disappearing from Finder while the other was my main Time Machine backup (formatted fro only Apple) was generally OK. Add to that were 2 Sandisk Extreme Pro USB keys and both ran blistering hot!

Just recently the WD backup disk went "read only"....essentially died!

I got an ssd to move the contents of the other WD onto, and plan to use that WD as the new backup.

However when I plugged the SSD into the Anker hub, it ran for a few minutes and then told me I didn't eject it properly! (I didn't eject it at all!). When I plugged it into the mac directly everything worked fine.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm wondering is my Anker usb causing trouble both for the failed and the disappearing WD drives and now my new ssd?

If I need to replace the Anker, what's the best one out there with at least 7 ports + some charging ones!

Many thanks everybody

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 12:01 PM

Based on what you provided, I would suspect that your Anker hub would be the culprit.

As far as a replacement hub, I would suggest that you consider getting one from OWC. They have a number of them to choose from. I don't work for them, but have used their products for years and have never been disappointed doing so.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2023 12:01 PM in response to rf4c

Based on what you provided, I would suspect that your Anker hub would be the culprit.

As far as a replacement hub, I would suggest that you consider getting one from OWC. They have a number of them to choose from. I don't work for them, but have used their products for years and have never been disappointed doing so.

Jun 8, 2023 1:22 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you so much for giving your time!

Your answer is on target!

Since posting my question I visited the Anker Community forum and it seems the particular product I own is responsible for killing my external hdd's! I'm beyond the 18 month warranty, so I guess I'll just walk away, but thanks for the OWC recommendation. I had a quick look and liked it! So I plan to spend a few hours researching there! Many many thanks again for your help. Kindest wishes!

usb hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.