Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

i am learning Welsh and would like to know how to use the circumflex using ios

how do I type a Welsh circumflex using iOS 16?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 8, 2023 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 7:18 PM

Hi elspeth273,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community,

Re: "how do I type a Welsh circumflex using iOS 16?"

Wondering if the French circumflex (ê ) and Welsh circumflex appear the same,

and whether the same letters are accented.

If so:

Apple support has an article online that may help:

Enter characters with diacritical marks while using Magic Keyboard with iPhone – Apple Support

Eg: says how to use the onscreen keyboard to enter a diacritical mark

1. On the onscreen keyboard, touch and hold the letter, number, or symbol on the keyboard that’s related to the character you want.
  2. For example, to enter é, touch and hold the e key.
  3. Slide your finger to choose a variant." (ie circumflex)

Else:

The Magic Keyboard can be purchased and blue-tooth paired with an iPhone to enter text ... and various languages are available ... the above article also describes it's use.

All the best :-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2023 7:18 PM in response to elspeth273

Hi elspeth273,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community,

Re: "how do I type a Welsh circumflex using iOS 16?"

Wondering if the French circumflex (ê ) and Welsh circumflex appear the same,

and whether the same letters are accented.

If so:

Apple support has an article online that may help:

Enter characters with diacritical marks while using Magic Keyboard with iPhone – Apple Support

Eg: says how to use the onscreen keyboard to enter a diacritical mark

1. On the onscreen keyboard, touch and hold the letter, number, or symbol on the keyboard that’s related to the character you want.
  2. For example, to enter é, touch and hold the e key.
  3. Slide your finger to choose a variant." (ie circumflex)

Else:

The Magic Keyboard can be purchased and blue-tooth paired with an iPhone to enter text ... and various languages are available ... the above article also describes it's use.

All the best :-)

Jun 9, 2023 7:54 PM in response to elspeth273

You can select the Welsh keyboard here:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Welsh

…and can then cycle through the keyboards with the globe icon on the on-screen keyboard.

Above reply will work for the vowels with circumflex. There’s no straightforward way to get a circumflex over the w and y though, but a text replacement shortcut should make that easier.

Below is an example of the added text replacement. I used cut-and-paste to insert the Unicode character, acquired from a list of Unicode characters.

Oddly, I can use the text replacement shown below (from iPadOS 16.5) to insert the lowercase ŷ here, but not the uppercase Ŷ. But the text replacement works in other input boxes. Not sure what’s up with that.

i am learning Welsh and would like to know how to use the circumflex using ios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.