Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Circumflex (ˆ) w and y on the Ipad Pro Magic Keyboard

I own an iPad Pro 4th gen and a magic keyboard. Recently, I’ve started learning Welsh on the DuoLingo app and have been typing answers with my magic keyboard. In Welsh, w and y are vowels and can take a circumflex (ˆ), i.e. ŵ and ŷ. I can easily type these characters on the soft keyboard on the iPad. I know the short cut for the circumflex on the magic keyboard is option+i+the vowel, and that works great on the standard English vowels (i.e. â, ê, î, ô, û). However, if I need to type a circumflex over a w or a y, the magic keyboard just won’t let me and, instead, types a blank circumflex and the letter (e.g. ˆy, ˆw).

Is there a setting I need to enable for my magic keyboard to recognize that w and y can take the circumflex? I’ve tried changing my keyboard settings to Welsh without luck. Is this just Apple not knowing that w and y are vowels in Welsh?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 8:08 AM

Redfarmer1980 wrote:

Is there a setting I need to enable for my magic keyboard to recognize that w and y can take the circumflex? I’ve tried changing my keyboard settings to Welsh without luck.

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge. Make sure that ABC Extended is checked (NOT "automatic" or something else). Then you will find that option 6 lets you put ^ over w and y, in addition to others. ŵŷ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 8:08 AM in response to Redfarmer1980

Redfarmer1980 wrote:

Is there a setting I need to enable for my magic keyboard to recognize that w and y can take the circumflex? I’ve tried changing my keyboard settings to Welsh without luck.

Go to settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard and tap over at the right edge. Make sure that ABC Extended is checked (NOT "automatic" or something else). Then you will find that option 6 lets you put ^ over w and y, in addition to others. ŵŷ

Circumflex (ˆ) w and y on the Ipad Pro Magic Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.