Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Desktop folders duplicated EVERYTHING - all folders are within every folder!

In opening one of desktop folders (after I'd thought I' organized everything by creating new folders for different topics), ALL folders now have all the other folders inside. Not sure how to fix this. Looked on your site and someone in 2022 reported same issue but I didn't see the resolution.

OS X EL CAPITAN vs 10.11.6

Thanks

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 1:50 PM

I had the same problem. I finally decided to try how I view the folders. To get folders so I only see what is in that folder, you can do it by: Click on the "finder" icon at the bottom, click on "desktop" at on the left, then click "as List". You can also double click on a desktop folder, go to View at the top of the screen, and click "as List"

It's the "as column" view that duplicates everything in your desktop folders!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 1:50 PM in response to CSterling

I had the same problem. I finally decided to try how I view the folders. To get folders so I only see what is in that folder, you can do it by: Click on the "finder" icon at the bottom, click on "desktop" at on the left, then click "as List". You can also double click on a desktop folder, go to View at the top of the screen, and click "as List"

It's the "as column" view that duplicates everything in your desktop folders!

Jun 10, 2023 1:03 AM in response to CSterling

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Any change?

Jun 13, 2023 10:04 AM in response to CSterling

The only thing I can think of is you either put an alias to a folder into the new folder, or you actually tried copying the entire contents of a folder into the new folder instead of perhaps actually moving the items. If this is the case, then just deleting the duplicates may be all you need to do. Just be careful though because if an alias is involved or you delete too much, you may lose that data if you don't have a good backup.

Unfortunately we cannot see it first hand. You can try taking it to an Apple Store or AASP for assistance as they will be able to see everything to better understand the situation, but in the end they may still offer the same suggestion as @BDAqua to perform a clean install. Unless you have a good backup from before this mishap, you will want to avoid the traditional methods of restoring from a backup or you will likely end up with the same issue again. You will need to figure out a way to transfer those items from the backup. If you do have a backup from before this mishap, then you should be able to restore from the older backup and be up & running again...although you will need to manually locate & restore any modified files which are only available from the later backup by using the TM app to navigate to those files.

FYI, when making references to other people having the same issue, it is usually a good idea to provide a link so we can check it out and not suggest trying things you've already attempted.

Jun 14, 2023 2:47 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks. None of the items are alias' - here's one of the prior people who had same issue:

I'll click on hers to see if there was a resolution.

From 10 months ago

When opening new folder on Desktop ALL folders on desktop appear in new folder...

I've been attempting to get my desktop organized but every time I open a new folder ALL the folders on the desktop appear there. I have folders within folders within folders. Someone in 2016 said go to user/home folder but I can't find that in Cataline 10.15.7. Any suggestions?... in 

Earlier Operating Systems by  Sallyg123

Desktop folders duplicated EVERYTHING - all folders are within every folder!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.