I moved my photos library and pics to a new disk. I now get "MISSING FILE"

I bought a new mac and new external storage.

I copied the photos library and all the pics to the new storage. When I open the library, I see all the pics, but when i click on any pic it says "MISSING FILE".

How do I correct this for ALL the pics without having to do it individually?

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jun 9, 2023 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 12:14 AM

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photos copies files into the Photos  Library when Importing. The files are then stored within the Library package

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photo -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 12:14 AM in response to max Hatfield

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and Photos copies files into the Photos  Library when Importing. The files are then stored within the Library package

A Referenced Library is when Photos is NOT copying the files into the Photos Library when importing because you made a change at Photo -> Preferences -> General. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Jun 10, 2023 8:52 AM in response to max Hatfield

You can set Photos to use a Library anywhere. You don't have to reference it.

The drive needs to be formatted Mac OS Extended or APFS.

Just create a New Library on the SSD, set it to copy, then merge the Libraries: Import photos from another library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If your old Library is in iCloud Photos, you'd have to turn that off to import into the new library.

I'm not sure when to turn iCloud Photos back on, but I would assume you could turn it on when you create the new Library and after setting that new Library as the System library in Photos Settings.

One limitation of having the Library on an external drive is you can't search it with Spotlight--I didn't even know that was possible. You can still search from within Photos.

Jun 10, 2023 8:26 AM in response to max Hatfield

I'm afraid you've stumbled onto one of the primary reasons for never using Photos in referenced mode. There is no way to relocate masters. The concept doesn't exist. Quite bluntly, if you want to use a referenced library my best advice is use some other app that has the tools for doing that. Photos doesn't. So, no there is no documented way to do what you want.

Sometimes it's enough to relink one image in a folder to get the rest, sometimes it has to be done one by one.

Can you restore things to the status quo ante? If you can then you can covert to a managed library, and moving is easy.

Jun 10, 2023 1:02 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Yer_Man. You input is very useful and informative. Thank you very much.

When using a REFERENCE LIBRARY are the changes to the photo meta-data (ie location, notes about the pic etc) stored on the photo file or in the library file?

My next question is, is there a photo manager that records the metadata onto the actual files, so they are more portable?

Im currently reluctant to put all my pics in a photo library and then be stuck with apple.

Jun 10, 2023 1:44 PM in response to max Hatfield

max Hatfield wrote:

Thanks Yer_Man. You input is very useful and informative. Thank you very much.

When using a REFERENCE LIBRARY are the changes to the photo meta-data (ie location, notes about the pic etc) stored on the photo file or in the library file?

Library.

See if you can find something that writes the EXIF data. That would store with the file, but I don’t think it is very expansive.

https://www.exiftool.org/gui/articles/where_what.html

Anything that would store information with the file would be just as proprietary as Photos metadata.

I moved my photos library and pics to a new disk. I now get "MISSING FILE"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.