importing iPhoto images to Ventura 13

When trying to import photos from older iPhoto I get the message:

The library version for “iPhoto Library” is not supported. It can be opened with macOS Monterey (version 12) or earlier. Alternatively, you can use Library Import to add photos from one library into another.

Where to go from here?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 10:12 AM

With Photos V 8.0 you can import an iPhoto library but not "migrate" it. You can also use the paid version of PowerPhotos to import an iPhoto library into a Photos library but will get more of the organization effort in the iPhoto library. Here's a comparison of the two apps:

If you have a lot of organizational effort in your Aperture library you might want to use the paid version of PowerPhotos to merge the Aperture library into your current Photos library.

I ran a number of tests with a 50 photo Photos library with keywords, captions, keywords and locations.  I merged it into an empty library using Photos and PowerPhotos.  This is what I found was imported by each;

PowerPhotos:                                      Photos:

Albums                                               -----------

Captions                                             Captions

Titles                                                   Titles

Original images                                  Original images

Keywords Keywords

Edited images                                     Edited images

---------------                                        Locations

Favorites                                             Favorites

Can detect and exclude                      Duplicates

duplicates or not

Neither method included projects. 

Both methods could import older iPhoto libraries into a Photos library when the iPhoto library couldn't be migrated into a Photos library. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 10:12 AM in response to metalunax

With Photos V 8.0 you can import an iPhoto library but not "migrate" it. You can also use the paid version of PowerPhotos to import an iPhoto library into a Photos library but will get more of the organization effort in the iPhoto library. Here's a comparison of the two apps:

If you have a lot of organizational effort in your Aperture library you might want to use the paid version of PowerPhotos to merge the Aperture library into your current Photos library.

I ran a number of tests with a 50 photo Photos library with keywords, captions, keywords and locations.  I merged it into an empty library using Photos and PowerPhotos.  This is what I found was imported by each;

PowerPhotos:                                      Photos:

Albums                                               -----------

Captions                                             Captions

Titles                                                   Titles

Original images                                  Original images

Keywords Keywords

Edited images                                     Edited images

---------------                                        Locations

Favorites                                             Favorites

Can detect and exclude                      Duplicates

duplicates or not

Neither method included projects. 

Both methods could import older iPhoto libraries into a Photos library when the iPhoto library couldn't be migrated into a Photos library. 

importing iPhoto images to Ventura 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.