Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Move a large folder in Finder to another location within Finder

I have a large documents folder in the wrong place in another folder as a sub-folder. How do I move that large folder containing Word documents and sub-folders, also containing other Word documents, to another area of Finder? These sub-folders contain Word documents also, but they should fall under another folder header.

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 9:20 AM

It's very simple. Any folder and its contents can be moved to another location by simply dragging that folder to the desire location. Then, if desires, any of that folder's content may also be redirected by dragging the item(s) to any desired location. Is there something here that I've missed?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 9:20 AM in response to break7bg

It's very simple. Any folder and its contents can be moved to another location by simply dragging that folder to the desire location. Then, if desires, any of that folder's content may also be redirected by dragging the item(s) to any desired location. Is there something here that I've missed?

Jun 10, 2023 10:06 AM in response to break7bg

Here is more; and, perhaps this is what I need to change somehow. This happens when I try to select a file to open using Word. Apparently, Word associates files differently than Finder. When I try to open a Word file, they are arranged by most-recent access. I might try to figure out how to rearrange those so they are similar to the way they are arranged in Finder.

Jun 10, 2023 10:41 AM in response to break7bg

When you open a folder and see the files there, they can be arranged several ways. For example, under Apple's View menu, you have the option to display them as icons or as a list. If displayed as a list, you may then go to the Sort By link to determine which kind of list shall be displayed. I encourage you to check out the various options available to you so you can display your files in the way that best suits you. You will find that you do have available a number of views you can use.

Move a large folder in Finder to another location within Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.