Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

Microsoft Word on Mac: how do I close a window in Word while leaving Word open on the screen in order to open or create a new document?

Using Microsoft Office 365 on a Mac mini. When I close a document, the whole program closes to the Dock, and I then have to reopen the program. How do I simply close a window/document such that the program remains open on the screen, allowing me to open or create a new document. I have tried Command + W and also Command + F4, but neither works. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 2:15 PM

9 replies

Jun 10, 2023 2:45 PM in response to Obiedo32

MS Word continues to run with a Dock icon after you either File menu : Close, or click the red document titlebar icon to close the document in that manner. Unless you click on an existing other application window, or launch a different application, then the Word application remains on the menu bar where you can still File menu : New From Template… to create a new document.

Tested: Word 16.73 on macOS 13.4.

Jun 10, 2023 2:51 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I agree that it should not do that. But it does. All I do is go to FILE>CLOSE, and both the document window AND the Word program disappear. The Word app is still available on the dock, so I click on it, and I have to start over by finding a new document to open, or to create a new one. I do nothing else during the "close" process.

Microsoft Word on Mac: how do I close a window in Word while leaving Word open on the screen in order to open or create a new document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.