Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Delete files from my iPhone files app

I cannot delete items from my iPhone files app. When I highlight or touch the item I just get a "COPY" or other option, not the contextual list the I could use to choose Delete

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 3:51 PM

There’s several different ways you can try to fix this:

• Restart your iPhone

Most of the time, a simple restart can fix a problem.

• Update your iPhone’s software

Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Software updates often include bug fixes.

If neither of those work, there is probably a good reason it’s restricting you from deleting it.

As a last resort, you can reset all settings on your iPhone. Note that this will not erase your data, but it will reset your preferences. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Enter your passcode when prompted and confirm the reset. This will fix any setting-related problems restricting you from deleting items, but keep in mind it will reset all other preferences you have set.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Witchcliffe

There’s several different ways you can try to fix this:

• Restart your iPhone

Most of the time, a simple restart can fix a problem.

• Update your iPhone’s software

Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Software updates often include bug fixes.

If neither of those work, there is probably a good reason it’s restricting you from deleting it.

As a last resort, you can reset all settings on your iPhone. Note that this will not erase your data, but it will reset your preferences. To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Enter your passcode when prompted and confirm the reset. This will fix any setting-related problems restricting you from deleting items, but keep in mind it will reset all other preferences you have set.

Jun 10, 2023 3:48 PM in response to Witchcliffe

Witchcliffe Said:

"Delete files from my iPhone files app: I cannot delete items from my iPhone files app. When I highlight or touch the item I just get a "COPY" or other option, not the contextual list the I could use to choose Delete"

-------

Deleting a File in the Files App:

Hold you Finder down on it, and then press "Delete" at the bottom of the popup menu (in red text).

Delete files from my iPhone files app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.