You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get YouTube links to open in the YouTube app by default?

I have an iPhone 13 mini running 15.6.1 with all apps updated to their most recent versions (as of 6/10/2023). When I tap a YouTube link, it opens in a new tab in Brave, my default iOS web browser. At the top right corner of the page, I can tap a button that says "Open App". When I do this, I get a popup saying "Switch to the app for a better viewing experience". When I tap "Open the app" I get another popup asking to switch to the YouTube app immediately followed by another asking to open the App Store.

So to open a YouTube link I receive from, for example, a text, I tap the link, tap "Open App" in the browser, tap "Open the app" in the first popup, tap "Don't Allow" in the third popup (the App Store), and then finally tap "Allow" in the second popup (YouTube app). Instead of a single tap as it should be, I need five taps and have a browser tab to close when all is said and done. It's almost like my device does not even recognize that I have the YouTube app downloaded. How do I make this happen by default?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 4:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 2:50 AM

I just deleted the YouTube app and reinstalled it. YouTube links now open automatically in the YouTube app. Thanks for the advice.

3 replies

Sep 15, 2023 6:11 PM in response to SravanKrA

I have the same basic issue as rickyjag7, but it isn’t consistent - most YouTube links open in the app, but not all. Those which don’t open in the app open in Safari instead, and I don’t get the option there to open the target video in the app. Uninstalling/reinstalling the YouTube app didn’t make any noticeable change.

Even more curiously, if I copy a “bad” YouTube link then paste it in a Notes note and click on the link there, it opens in the YouTube app every time.

I have a 2nd gen iPad Pro running iPad OS 16.6.1.

How do I get YouTube links to open in the YouTube app by default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.