Stage Manager mirroring

I have a 12.9 iPad Pro and a Samsung display screen. Happily using this for two weeks, flawless! Today, I cannot switch off mirroring on Stage Manager. Like there is no option! I have a load of work to do and need two screens. Help!

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 1:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass this on because it has caused me a headache. I was happily displaying (not mirroring) from my iPad Pro 12.9 (M2) to a monitor and then it stopped. Well, I had it in a logi case with key board and when I took it out it didn’t work. The keyboard on the logi detaches. So I detached it but it still worked - take it out the case and it didn’t. I needed it out of the case so I could record sound more clearly.

I tried Apple and though they seemed to try everything still no success. I bought another HDMI lead — nope.

THEN a trusted friend said connect a keyboard and an Apple TrackPad — hey presto it worked! No trackpad and I am back to mirroring, which kind of defeats the purpose.

So I wanted to pass on this solution incase you too are banging your heads against the wall.

Have a great day and the Lord be with you,

David

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Dave

Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass this on because it has caused me a headache. I was happily displaying (not mirroring) from my iPad Pro 12.9 (M2) to a monitor and then it stopped. Well, I had it in a logi case with key board and when I took it out it didn’t work. The keyboard on the logi detaches. So I detached it but it still worked - take it out the case and it didn’t. I needed it out of the case so I could record sound more clearly.

I tried Apple and though they seemed to try everything still no success. I bought another HDMI lead — nope.

THEN a trusted friend said connect a keyboard and an Apple TrackPad — hey presto it worked! No trackpad and I am back to mirroring, which kind of defeats the purpose.

So I wanted to pass on this solution incase you too are banging your heads against the wall.

Have a great day and the Lord be with you,

David

Jun 11, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Dave

The thing I had differently was I took the iPad out of the logi case (I had forgotten that bit sorry). When I reinserted it all was well BUT one cannot record sound as well in the case. Can you help me to understand what I need to do to use out if the logi case? The monitor is ASUS VP28U 2160p 60hz.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Jun 11, 2023 6:56 AM in response to Dave

Your monitor’s screen resolution will impact the available settings and external screen capabilities. 

While undocumented, testing has demonstrated that 4:3 monitors with a display resolution of 1280x1024 and below are currently only usable with iPad screen mirroring; as such, associated settings to disable screen mirroring in favour of Stage Manager are not available in iPad Display settings.

When used with a 16:9 widescreen monitor, with a native display resolution of 1920x1080 or greater, the full set of Display settings - and access to Stage Manager - become available.

The iPad User Guide lists the upper resolution limit as 6K - but the Guide offers no lower limit, or suggestion of aspect-ratio, being a factor for compatibility:

Connect iPad to a display with a cable - Apple Support

This discussion thread may be of additional interest:

iPad Extended Desktop not working - Apple Community

In conclusion, your monitor must be capable of 16:9 widescreen 1920x1080 (FHD) to support iPadOS16 Stage Manager extended desktop. Unless the monitor meets the minimum required specifications, you will not see the full range of controls in iPad settings.  

When mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, expect to see black bars to infill where the iPad screen doesn’t match the aspect ratio of monitor screen.

Whether or not this is an intentional limitation, or a bug introduced with recent releases of iPadOS16 is unknown.

Stage Manager mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.