Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't add a Gmail account to Apple Mail

• My Apple mail won't get my Gmail all of a sudden. I deleted my Gmail and when I try to add a new G mail account I get this 400 error
  • redirect_uri: urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob
  • Any suggestions on a work around,

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2024 4:27 PM

If you have a new 2023-24 Macbook air and trying to add a gmail account for the first time, you have to download google chrome and make it the default web browser before you try to add a gmail account to Apple mail. Macbook MACios is not compatible in security with Google's platform. Once you complete this you should have no problem adding the gmail. Good luck!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2024 4:27 PM in response to wally297

If you have a new 2023-24 Macbook air and trying to add a gmail account for the first time, you have to download google chrome and make it the default web browser before you try to add a gmail account to Apple mail. Macbook MACios is not compatible in security with Google's platform. Once you complete this you should have no problem adding the gmail. Good luck!

Jan 16, 2024 1:52 PM in response to wally297

In my case, having Safari as the default browser was the culprit. As soon as I made Chrome the default browser on my 2021 MacBook Pro, I was able to successfully add the GMail account on the Mail App. This problem didn’t occur on the iOS devices, but it sure did on the MacBook (operating the latest OS, by the way).

Aug 25, 2023 12:00 AM in response to kylefromca

kylefromca wrote:

Wally297 oh wise one!

How did you generate the app password? I'm assuming you mean Mac Mail???

Follow the directions on the first Google Support page to which BDAqua linked. Here's the same link, just with a more descriptive name.

Google – Gmail Help – Sign in with app passwords

Basically, Google tightened their security requirements. That is why connecting old versions of Mac Mail to Google – in the original way – broke.

There is a workaround. If your app or device cannot meet the new requirements, Google lets you generate an dedicated password (app password) for your "less secure" app or device to use to connect to Google's servers. Google generates the app password (see directions), and then, I believe, you use it instead of your normal Google account password when setting up new GMail accounts in older versions of Mac Mail.

Can't add a Gmail account to Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.