Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Buy ipad air in a different country

I am from the Netherlands and currently staying in Zambia. I would like to buy an ipad air. My question is if it's possible to buy an ipad with a dutch type of charger (type C plug) and get it delivered to Zambia? This is because i will go back to the Netherlands again after some months, obviously i just want a "normal" charger there.

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 11:51 AM

Do you already have a USB-C power adapter with a Type C plug? Apple says that users can use anything that is compliant with the USB-C standards and meets relevant safety standards. I personally don't use any Apple USB-C power adapter with my iPads. Those have stayed in the box.

You could also just get a passive adapter to use whatever you might have packaged with the iPad Air in Zambia. The power adapters are electrically universal (100-240V AC at 50-60Hz) but it's just a matter of making an electrical connection. I have seen some awkward setups though.

Also - it seems like two-prong Type C is the most common plug/outlet in Zambia, so it might be what's packaged in the box. You might see if that's what you have first.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/advice-for-you/when-travelling/travel-adaptor-for-zambia/
For Zambia there are three associated plug types, types C, D and G. Plug type C is the plug which has two round pins, plug type D has three round pins in a triangular pattern and plug type G is the plug which has three rectangular pins in a triangular pattern. Zambia operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 11:51 AM in response to nema073

Do you already have a USB-C power adapter with a Type C plug? Apple says that users can use anything that is compliant with the USB-C standards and meets relevant safety standards. I personally don't use any Apple USB-C power adapter with my iPads. Those have stayed in the box.

You could also just get a passive adapter to use whatever you might have packaged with the iPad Air in Zambia. The power adapters are electrically universal (100-240V AC at 50-60Hz) but it's just a matter of making an electrical connection. I have seen some awkward setups though.

Also - it seems like two-prong Type C is the most common plug/outlet in Zambia, so it might be what's packaged in the box. You might see if that's what you have first.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/advice-for-you/when-travelling/travel-adaptor-for-zambia/
For Zambia there are three associated plug types, types C, D and G. Plug type C is the plug which has two round pins, plug type D has three round pins in a triangular pattern and plug type G is the plug which has three rectangular pins in a triangular pattern. Zambia operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.

Jun 12, 2023 1:20 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Since we do not work for Apple's legal department and cannot speak for Apple, I will keep posting a link to the terms of the warranty with its restrictions, thank you. If someone manages to get warranty service in another country, it is great, but it is not guaranteed.

Here are the current EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa) terms. The only restriction it states for non-cellular iPads is with regards to Wi-Fi compatibility in China, although I know a few people who have used US-spec iPads in China without issue.

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty For Apple Branded Products Only
IMPORTANT RESTRICTIONS

Apple may restrict warranty service for Apple Watch and Apple TV to countries where Apple or its Authorized Resellers sell the device.

With regard to iPad devices with cellular coverage and iPhone devices, the warranty provides service coverage in the European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland. Outside this region, service options may be limited due to technical issues outside of Apple control – for information relating to iPad devices with cellular coverage and iPhone devices please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ and www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/.

With regard to iPad devices the warranty does not provide service coverage in China due to differences in WiFi connection outside of Apple control.

Jun 12, 2023 6:50 AM in response to nema073

All Apple iPad USB power adapters are designed for use with power sources rated to provide 100V AC to 240V AC at 50Hz to 60Hz. Apple iPad USB power adapters also comply with the IEC/UL 60950-1 and IEC/UL 62368-1 standards for use with power sources rated to provide 115V AC at 400Hz (typically found onboard commercial airlines).

While your Power Adapter will be fully usable when travelling internationally, you may require a simple pin-adapter to allow the Power Adapter to be used with AC power outlets in different countries. For example, a US flat 2-pin connector will require an adapter for the standard European round 2-pin socket - or UK 3-pin square socket. Travel adapters are readily available in most countries.

Jun 12, 2023 6:03 PM in response to y_p_w

So the coverage differs in some foreign countries (mine was from the US); however, your excerpt states that coverage is valid in the EU and Switzerland. The OP wants to buy it in Zambia which is what counts as the country of purchase - is that part of the EU?

Again, my point: we are not Apple legal, and should err on the side of caution since our answers do not represent Apple. Personally, I would not put it to the test buying it in one country and wanting to make a claim in another unless I had a written confirmation from Apple. The word "may" is a very important term as it gives Apple the opportunity to grant or deny coverage.

Jun 12, 2023 6:44 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:
So the coverage differs in some foreign countries (mine was from the US); however, your excerpt states that coverage is valid in the EU and Switzerland. The OP wants to buy it in Zambia which is what counts as the country of purchase - is that part of the EU?

Again, my point: we are not Apple legal, and should err on the side of caution since our answers do not represent Apple. Personally, I would not put it to the test buying it in one country and wanting to make a claim in another unless I had a written confirmation from Apple. The word "may" is a very important term as it gives Apple the opportunity to grant or deny coverage.

It’s a bit confusing, but those are the “Europe, the Middle East, and Africa” (EMEA) warranty terms (it’s in the link URL). The “devices with cellular coverage” detail seems to describe the EEU + Switzerland area, but doesn’t state what else outside. However, it seems to describe pretty well what most people understood about the difference between cellular iPads and Wi-Fi iPads in terms of international warranty coverage.

Jun 12, 2023 7:52 PM in response to y_p_w

However, it seems to describe pretty well what most people understood about the difference between cellular iPads and Wi-Fi iPads in terms of international warranty coverage.

There is no such distinction in the US warranty version. There is no international warranty coverage. It makes no difference what "people understand". We can debate this ad infinitum; the simple word/legal term "may" gives Apple the legal advantage everywhere to deny or accept. And, their worldwide headquarters is in the US. So, I am done with this debate as it cannot go anywhere.Nor can we come to a definitive conclusion since we are not employed in their legal division and should not attempt to speak for Apple as far as legal policies and their interpretation is concerned.

Jun 12, 2023 8:21 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

However, it seems to describe pretty well what most people understood about the difference between cellular iPads and Wi-Fi iPads in terms of international warranty coverage.

There is no such distinction in the US warranty version. There is no international warranty coverage. It makes no difference what "people understand". We can debate this ad infinitum; the simple word/legal term "may" gives Apple the legal advantage everywhere to deny or accept. And, their worldwide headquarters is in the US. So, I am done with this debate as it cannot go anywhere.Nor can we come to a definitive conclusion since we are not employed in their legal division and should not attempt to speak for Apple as far as legal policies and their interpretation is concerned.

I’m specifically addressing the OP’s situation making a iPad purchase in Africa. The warranty terms that apply there make a distinction about cellular iPads.

Buy ipad air in a different country

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.