How to get the imap password ?

How do I get an imap password?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 9:09 PM

Hello,

This Apple Support article goes over the needed server settings to add your iCloud account to a 3rd party mail app. The password would be your Apple ID password but it is recommended to create an App Specific Password instead. That limits the type of data the app can access and can be revoked easier than changing your Apple KD Password.

iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

"IMAP information for the incoming iCloud Mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name of your iCloud Mail email address (for example, johnappleseed, not johnappleseed@icloud.com). If your email client app can't connect to iCloud Mail using just the name of your email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: Generate an app-specific password."

The article also gives the outgoing SMTP information if you need that.

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2023 9:09 PM in response to mjtjjjtj

Hello,

This Apple Support article goes over the needed server settings to add your iCloud account to a 3rd party mail app. The password would be your Apple ID password but it is recommended to create an App Specific Password instead. That limits the type of data the app can access and can be revoked easier than changing your Apple KD Password.

iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

"IMAP information for the incoming iCloud Mail server

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
  • If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS instead.
  • Port: 993
  • Username: This is usually the name of your iCloud Mail email address (for example, johnappleseed, not johnappleseed@icloud.com). If your email client app can't connect to iCloud Mail using just the name of your email address, try using the full address.
  • Password: Generate an app-specific password."

The article also gives the outgoing SMTP information if you need that.

I hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2023 9:09 PM in response to mjtjjjtj

The password is the same one you would use to log into your mail provider. You would have to have an account to use the mail service. If you have forgotten your password, log into their web portal and look for the forget password link. Hopefully they would be able to send the reset link by text, if you are unable to receive emails.

IMAP allow receiving emails on multiple devices and by deleting on one device, it will delete on all. POP email downloads your emails on each device independently and deleting will only delete on that one device. SMTP is used mostly for outgoing mail and is used with both IMAP and POP. There is a password field for both the IMAP (incoming) server and the SMTP (outgoing) server in your settings, but they use the same password.

How to get the imap password ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.