iOS gmail access/control

ios requesting gmail access/control/to permanently delete things

I got an alert to re enter my password for my gmail account. Not unusual, but today I am seeing something new and want to make sure I am not being scammed. There is a new screen saying

"iOS wants to access your Google account. This will allow iOS to:

1. Read, compose, send and permanently delete all of your email from gmail
  2. SEE, EDIT, DOWNLOAD, and PERMANENTLY delete your contacts
  3. See, edit, share, and permanently delete all of the calendars you access using Google Calendar"

I have never seen that iOS would want to permanently delete or edit my contacts. I find that odd. Am I crazy or is this normal and I've just never noticed it before?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 8:33 AM

Thanks for sharing this. For a large operation like APPLE. Having issues clarifying language to an agreement is lame. If it’s poorly worded, they need to fix it. I would not want any app or service to mention deleting information. Taking control even sounds off.

6 replies

Jun 12, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Username-not-taken

Per my telephone conversation with Apple Support, you must select ALLOW to enable gmail. Apple stated the information on the page is very poorly worded, possibly misleading or confusing. What it means is that you authorize your iPhone iOS operating system to manage your emails at your instruction. IOS (Apple) does not arbitrarily delete your emails.

I selected ALLOW and my gmail was restored.

iOS gmail access/control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.