this apple id has not yet been used in the itunes store

Every time I try to download a free app from the App Store I keep getting this - "this apple id has not yet been used in the itunes store" and I can't get past it. This has been really frustrating.

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2023 10:01 AM

The resolution to this issue is often making sure you have entered a credit card or other valid method of payment* even if you plan on using account balance to pay for a purchase or the item is free.

If there is an option to select "Review" or "Continue", select that and enter valid payment information if required. If there's problems doing this:

On a mobile device tap: Settings > [your name at the top] > Media & Purchases > View Account > Manage Payments > Add Payment Method.

Alternatively this document explains how to 'Add a payment method to your Apple ID' on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC; click here --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you continue to have problems contact Official Apple Support - Select your region from the list and then your country from the pop-up window. If you do not see your country, see if there is an "other" listing for that region.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&PGF=PGF63005

*Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support but note that Apple Account balance may not be sufficient in this situation.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2023 10:01 AM in response to TechnoPete

The resolution to this issue is often making sure you have entered a credit card or other valid method of payment* even if you plan on using account balance to pay for a purchase or the item is free.

If there is an option to select "Review" or "Continue", select that and enter valid payment information if required. If there's problems doing this:

On a mobile device tap: Settings > [your name at the top] > Media & Purchases > View Account > Manage Payments > Add Payment Method.

Alternatively this document explains how to 'Add a payment method to your Apple ID' on an Apple mobile device, a Mac, or a PC; click here --> Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you continue to have problems contact Official Apple Support - Select your region from the list and then your country from the pop-up window. If you do not see your country, see if there is an "other" listing for that region.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?caller=cups&PGF=PGF63005

*Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support but note that Apple Account balance may not be sufficient in this situation.

Jun 13, 2023 8:23 PM in response to TechnoPete

I suggest you contact Apple.

Your friend is correct. I too do not have to have a payment method to use the app store, but I have only free apps and use no in-app purchases or subscriptions. Apple has about half a dozen criteria for when you might have to have a payment method and if you are encountering one of those you will need a working method.

this apple id has not yet been used in the itunes store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.