How to choose a Time Machine backup to restore using Migration Assistant?

I have the latest Ventura on my 2019 Macbook Pro, and have daily Time Machine backups at 10:00pm ET. Using Migration Assistant, how can I choose which backup to restore, like I was able to with the old Time Machine interface (where the "Restore" button is now greyed out)? Say I want to restore the backup from June 11, 2023 (2 days ago) and not the latest. I didn't see a way to choose. Any clues?

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 6:49 PM

According to the picture on the Apple Article, there is a disclosure triangle next to the backups. I think that is where you show all of the previous points in time. If you just select it, you get the most recent.

I used MA a few months ago, and I think I remember doing that, but not sure.

5 replies

Jun 13, 2023 6:56 PM in response to ChrisF205

When you get to the "latest backup", look carefully to see if there is a small arrow just to the left of the name of the backup.

When I click on that small arrow, a drop down list appears of dates of backups working from most recent to oldest backup.

In other words, I can choose any backup from the complete backup history going back in time.

How to choose a Time Machine backup to restore using Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.