Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I can't transfer custom ringtones to my iPhone!

I'm an iPhone 13 Pro Max user. I'm trying to transfer some custom ringtones to the new iPhone with my Windows PC and Mac, but constantly failed. I couldn't find the "Tones" tab on both the music library and my device. Please help me to drop the m4r files savely in my iPhone 13 Pro. Many thanks in advance!

iPhone 14

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 6:58 AM

I spent a couple of days playing around with this and got it to work...

Here is how to add ringtone to iPhone in Sonoma

What I did:

After ringtone is created in Music App open iPhone in New Finder and go to General Tab

Find ringtone in Music App, highlight and then follow dropdown to Show in Finder...

Drag file ("name".m4r) to the iPhone "onto" the General Screen (not the tab)

On iPhone go to General > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtones

Voilà...

Good luck. It worked for me.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2024 6:58 AM in response to mcfarlin

I spent a couple of days playing around with this and got it to work...

Here is how to add ringtone to iPhone in Sonoma

What I did:

After ringtone is created in Music App open iPhone in New Finder and go to General Tab

Find ringtone in Music App, highlight and then follow dropdown to Show in Finder...

Drag file ("name".m4r) to the iPhone "onto" the General Screen (not the tab)

On iPhone go to General > Sounds & Haptics > Ringtones

Voilà...

Good luck. It worked for me.

Nov 28, 2023 12:00 PM in response to AngelinaHood

Step 5 for Mac: there's no such menu as "settings" in the sidebar, not under Sonoma OS, hence "Tones" are not there either.

Drugging a file just into iPhone under locations seems working, but file is nowhere to be found in my iPhone after sync!

It's utterly ridiculous that such simple thing as a custom ring tone takes so many steps, and even this hassle stopped working silently!

Android takes any audio file as a custom ring tone in one click.

Mar 23, 2024 4:03 AM in response to mcfarlin

I think that it is utterly disgusting that Apple would take this function away. This is worse than draconian.

How much control do they need over everyone's lives?

It's enough to make me defect to another provider as this is only the first restriction and more will follow.

Businesses can take things too far, and this very very simple restriction is a step too far by Apple.

Jun 14, 2023 1:11 AM in response to mcfarlin

I don't think the option exists anymore.

Either buy a ringtone from the Tone Store on iTunes Store or convert your existing Ringtone (m4r file) using GarageBand.

Do you have GarageBand?

Here you have the process!

My GarageBand opens my iCloud Drive. In your case it may not be so. Nevertheless the process remains the same. This helps because accidentally if you open up the iCloud Drive using GarageBand you can get back to GarageBand.

Music bust be on your iPhone not on iCloud Library.

When you select the song Hold and tap the Song delicately for it to populate it in Audio Recorder.

Watch the GIF below to convert any music to RingTone

This is made on iOS 13.3.1 iPhone SE

Feb 29, 2024 2:59 PM in response to AngelinaHood

4. In the top toolbar, click on "File" and select "Show Sidebar" if the sidebar is not already visible.

5. Under the "Settings" section in the sidebar, click on "Tones."

What part of there is NO SUCH THING AS TONES did you NOT understand. Please read the responses instead of just providing outdated garbage that no longer works, it is worse than confusing.

Jul 3, 2023 1:04 AM in response to mcfarlin

If your ringtones are in another format, you may need to convert them to .m4r using a third-party conversion tool.

Using a Windows PC:

1. Connect your iPhone 13 Pro Max to your PC using a USB cable.

2. On your PC, open iTunes (or download it from the Microsoft Store if you don't have it installed).

3. Once iTunes is open, click on the device icon located near the top left corner of the iTunes window.

4. In the left sidebar, under the "Settings" section, click on "Tones."

5. Now, simply drag and drop your .m4r custom ringtone files into the iTunes window under the "Tones" section.

6. Once you've added your custom ringtones, click on the "Sync" button in the bottom right corner to transfer them to your iPhone.

7. Wait for the sync to complete, and then disconnect your iPhone from the PC.

Using a Mac:

1. Connect your iPhone 13 Pro Max to your Mac using a USB cable.

2. Open Finder on your Mac.

3. In the Finder window, click on your iPhone under the "Locations" section in the sidebar.

4. In the top toolbar, click on "File" and select "Show Sidebar" if the sidebar is not already visible.

5. Under the "Settings" section in the sidebar, click on "Tones."

6. Now, simply drag and drop your .m4r custom ringtone files into the Finder window under the "Tones" section.

7. Once you've added your custom ringtones, wait for the sync to complete.

8. After the sync is finished, you can disconnect your iPhone from the Mac.

Once you have followed these steps, your custom ringtones should be available on your iPhone 13 Pro Max. To set a custom ringtone for a specific contact or for your general incoming calls, you can go to "Settings" > "Sounds & Haptics" > "Ringtone" on your iPhone.

Apr 10, 2024 3:56 AM in response to Rick Fernandez1

Hi Rick, hope it's not too late for this response. You just have to click a button to add it to Finder. It's easy. Open Finder, on the toolbar (top left of your mac) click on Finder, click settings, click on sidebar and make sure CD's DVDs, and iOS Devices has the check mark to enable it. That should make your iPhone show up in finder. Again, hope it's not too late and this works for you.

Apr 10, 2024 4:05 AM in response to total voice

Hi total voice, hope this is not too late of a response. I had the same problem. What I did was download the .mp3 file of the ringtone/text tone you want, and you HAVE TO convert it to .m4r. There is an online .mp3 to .m4r converter FREE. Convert the .mp3 to .m4r, after you have done that, go to Finder, find the new .m4r download and drag the file to your desktop. Connect your phone to your Mac, go to your Finder, click on your iPhone, keep the General page up on the screen of Finder and drag your .m4r file to that screen. I hope it worked for you like it did for me. I think the trick was you have to convert the .mp3 file to .m4r.

GOOD LUCK!

Apr 10, 2024 4:05 AM in response to kLy

Hi kLy, hope this is not too late of a response. I had the same problem. What I did was download the .mp3 file of the ringtone/text tone you want, and you HAVE TO convert it to .m4r. There is an online .mp3 to .m4r converter FREE. Convert the .mp3 to .m4r, after you have done that, go to Finder, find the new .m4r download and drag the file to your desktop. Connect your phone to your Mac, go to your Finder, click on your iPhone, keep the General page up on the screen of Finder and drag your .m4r file to that screen. I hope it worked for you like it did for me. I think the trick was you have to convert the .mp3 file to .m4r.

GOOD LUCK!

Apr 10, 2024 4:37 AM in response to KevinX3

Hi KevinX3, hope this is not too late of a response. I had the same problem. What I did was download the .mp3 file of the ringtone/text tone you want, and you HAVE TO convert it to .m4r. There is an online .mp3 to .m4r converter FREE. Convert the .mp3 to .m4r, after you have done that, go to Finder, find the new .m4r download and drag the file to your desktop. Connect your phone to your Mac, go to your Finder, click on your iPhone, keep the general page up on the screen of Finder and drag your .m4r file to that screen. I hope it worked for you like it did for me. I think the trick was you have to convert the .mp3 file to .m4r.

GOOD LUCK!

I can't transfer custom ringtones to my iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.