USB Accessories Disabled

I have the "USB Accessories Disabled Unplug the accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices", I have been using an externally powered USB hub and this issue is new. Only occurs when I plug in my RK Keyboard to the USB charging cable. The cable is connected to the self powered hub and there is no issue with the Hub power as it is still charging the Macbook.

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2024 1:50 PM

I have this same issue and have NO devices plugged in

13 replies

Feb 22, 2024 11:11 AM in response to crashmccord

I get this message intermittently when coming out of sleep as well (MacBook Pro 16" m3 Max 2024). I have 2 Thunderbolt docks plugged into the MacBook. The first is OWC 10 Port Pro Dock (supplies 85W of power by the way) and the other is the Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 Element hub (supplies 60W of power).

Into these devices I do have some USB devices plugged - keyboard (SteelSeries), mouse (StealSeries), Audio (StealSeries) Stream Deck, Timemachine hard drive, Thunderbolt SSD. These are the same USB devices (less the 2 Thunderbolt hubs which are new) I had plugged into my 27" Intel iMC (2019) in which I never got this error.

I've tried moving the USB devices around, and even adding a powered USB 3.2 hub to plug them into, but still get the errors sometimes (if it was a reliable error to recreate this would be far easier).

It feels a bit like this is a software handshake error - that is when coming out of sleep it likely takes a moment from everything to activate and communicate, and that sometimes results in things being momentarily beyond limits triggering the error. Please note that NONE of the devices are actually disabled - they are all working when I get this error, and nothing needs to be replugged into to activate it.

Mar 19, 2024 8:57 AM in response to crashmccord

Running Sonoma 14.4 on my M2 14" MacBook Pro. Sonoma: Apple's answer to Windows Vista. I too am just now getting this silly notification. I have changed nothing at all: same USB hub, same devices, same configuration. And now I'm being told this?? Sonoma is so darn buggy Apple can't keep up with it all. I don't know what troubleshooting I should enact since I haven't changed anything. I'll watch this thread for ideas because I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Force

Mar 9, 2024 12:43 PM in response to crashmccord

I have this issue on my Macbook Pro M2 and Macbook Pro M3 with a Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 Element hub. Mixed cables around, different ports, even nothing plugged and still get this incessant notification.

I've updated the firmware on the Caldigit too but no change.

Also all devices that are plugged in work just fine!

Hub: Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 Element hub

Devices plugged in (although issue persists when no devices plugged in, and the devices work)

• Elgato Stream deck
  • USB mic
  • 5k monitor
  • Sony webcam

Apr 17, 2024 2:50 AM in response to crashmccord

I'm getting this error message intermittently all of a sudden (typically after booting, opening the laptop, or waking from sleep). I've tried an SMC and PRAM reset but it's made no difference.

I think the message may have come up with nothing plugged into my USB ports once or twice, but the only things that are usually plugged in are an SSD and a HP monitor (and sometimes another monitor via HDMI), which obviously shouldn't be using 'too much power' and aren't new devices. Weirdly, all USB ports seem to actually be working despite the message—I've had no trouble plugging in the monitors or SSD.

I'm wondering the if system is (incorrectly) registering a power surge on waking and triggering the error message, but then immediately reactivating the ports when it checks again and finds no problem. The error message has to be manually closed, rather than closing itself once the issue resolves, so I'm thinking that it's probably already redundant by the time it renders on screen in this case.

Perhaps the recent flare up of the issue is actually that the error message is being triggered too quickly and not accounting for waking, or is no longer self-closing, rather than an actual issue with the USB ports?

Device is a MBP M2 2023 running Somona 14.4.1

Jun 16, 2023 8:20 PM in response to crashmccord

Many adapters, hubs, docks will not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop, plus only some a specially marked USB-C port will allow a power adapter pass through to the laptop. This shouldn't affect the power available on the USB ports.

This error message indicates your USB devices are trying to pull too much power from the laptop to power those USB devices. Make sure the connected USB devices are not connected to a power-in only USB-C port on the hub since many times a USB-C marked for power in will not allow data transfers.

Either you have one too many USB devices connected, or one of those USB devices is defective & trying to pull too much power. If you have too many USB devices, then make sure to get a self powered USB hub which has its own power adapter which gets plugged into an electrical outlet.

Mar 29, 2024 6:18 AM in response to crashmccord

MacBook Pro M3, Sonoma 14.4

I have two monitors plugged in. One via HDMI and has power going directly to the wall, never has issues. The second is a Lenovo 32" that has power going to the wall and uses the USB-C for connecting to MAC. Constantly get USB power warning and half the time I need to unplug the Lenovo monitor and plug it back in to get it to work.

USB Accessories Disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.