Flickering and blank screen

My Macbook pro 13" 2017 screen started flickering last week and has now gone blank. I understand it's an issue on models between 2016 and 2018 on the flexgate. From discussing it with Apple they said it's only the 2016 model despite their own words on their own website that it can affect a small number of machines between 2016 and 2018. However they said they would look into it and said they would need an inspection to make sure I hadn't tampered with the machine, which is totally fair. They even kindly booked me in for an inspection with their agent. The laptop was inspected and the report said no tampering had been found.

I followed up with a senior advisor on the report and was told that the flexgate is not an issue on 2017 models, despite their agent saying otherwise, and from the very obvious flickering and blanking of the screen when the screen is opened properly. Apple then told me that I had no case as it only affects 2016 models (despite the authorised repair centres words and report). To add insult to injury Apple never informed me that I would have to pay the €65 inspection fee (despite organising it for me with their agent) as it was not an Apple store run by Apple (just to note - there are no Apple Stores in Ireland). And worse, I am now going to be charged €750 to have the whole screen to be replaced. Can anyone advise me as to what I can do to get it repaired without having to replace the whole screen?

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 6:54 PM

Flexgate23 Said:

"Flickering and blank screen: My Macbook pro 13" 2017 screen started flickering last week and has now gone blank. I understand it's an issue on models between 2016 and 2018 on the flexgate. From discussing it with Apple they said it's only the 2016 model despite their own words on their own website that it can affect a small number of machines between 2016 and 2018. [...]Can anyone advise me as to what I can do to get it repaired without having to replace the whole screen?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience...

Troubleshooting Flickering Screen:

Get this Serviced:

Perform what is provided in the above link. If of no success, then your Screen is failing. This needs to be fixed. My 2017 MBP had this issue, and its screen was replaced 11 times. So, this is known issue of that year's MBPs, and has been reported plenty of times on these forums.

A. Apple Contact Us Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

OR...

B. Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2023 6:54 PM in response to Flexgate23

Flexgate23 Said:

"Flickering and blank screen: My Macbook pro 13" 2017 screen started flickering last week and has now gone blank. I understand it's an issue on models between 2016 and 2018 on the flexgate. From discussing it with Apple they said it's only the 2016 model despite their own words on their own website that it can affect a small number of machines between 2016 and 2018. [...]Can anyone advise me as to what I can do to get it repaired without having to replace the whole screen?"

-------

Based on Personal Experience...

Troubleshooting Flickering Screen:

Get this Serviced:

Perform what is provided in the above link. If of no success, then your Screen is failing. This needs to be fixed. My 2017 MBP had this issue, and its screen was replaced 11 times. So, this is known issue of that year's MBPs, and has been reported plenty of times on these forums.

A. Apple Contact Us Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

OR...

B. Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Jun 14, 2023 5:44 PM in response to Flexgate23

Unfortunately Apple never acknowledged the issue with any other model even though techs in the field realize other models have the same issue as well. This is why you are getting two different opinions....techs in the field and Apple online agents who have never physically dealt with any real repairs to these systems.

Unless you have some local consumer protection laws which apply here, then you will need to either pay for the repair or get another laptop.

Flickering and blank screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.