Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My indoor cycling is not being included in my total exercise minutes on Apple Watch

My indoor cycling is not being included in my total exercise minutes. Walked for 45 minutes and it only shows 37. Indoor cycling for 20 minutes and it isn’t included in total exercise minutes.

Goal is set for 40 minutes so I’m way under after 65 minutes of cardio.

Tried turning off watch & turning it back on.

Doesnt always show accurate distance either. Any idea how to fix the above?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 1:37 PM

Unless you use "Other" or "Yoga" workouts, I have heard that, according to Apple Support, for the activity ring to register your Outdoor Walk workout you need to maintain a speed of approximately 3.3 mph or faster and increase your heart rate to approximately 75% of your High Heart Rate (from the iPhone Watch > Heart app). This definition of a "brisk walk" is to encourage you to put more effort into the walk, (For an Outdoor Cycle its is 9.8 MPH (or 16 KPH) and 75% of your High Heart Rate.) If you slow down or pause, the watch will stop giving you exercise credit, It will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app. A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age, sex, weight, and heart rate which is why it is important to calibrate the watch and have the correct details set up in the Health app,

I can't vouch for any of those specific numbers, but I'm sure there is some kind of criteria you have to accomplish for a "minute of exercise" to be counted as an "exercise minute. See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2023 1:37 PM in response to JustMerc

Unless you use "Other" or "Yoga" workouts, I have heard that, according to Apple Support, for the activity ring to register your Outdoor Walk workout you need to maintain a speed of approximately 3.3 mph or faster and increase your heart rate to approximately 75% of your High Heart Rate (from the iPhone Watch > Heart app). This definition of a "brisk walk" is to encourage you to put more effort into the walk, (For an Outdoor Cycle its is 9.8 MPH (or 16 KPH) and 75% of your High Heart Rate.) If you slow down or pause, the watch will stop giving you exercise credit, It will still measure your steps and calories burnt but will not give you any credit towards the exercise ring or workout app. A brisk walk speed is different for everybody as the watch takes into account your age, sex, weight, and heart rate which is why it is important to calibrate the watch and have the correct details set up in the Health app,

I can't vouch for any of those specific numbers, but I'm sure there is some kind of criteria you have to accomplish for a "minute of exercise" to be counted as an "exercise minute. See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

My indoor cycling is not being included in my total exercise minutes on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.