I cannot log into iMessages on my MacBook Pro. Works fine on other devices.

I followed all of Apple's troubleshooting suggestions, but they have not resolved the issue. Ideas? Suggestions?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 3:24 PM

Hey again!

My best guess would be an issue with the local keychain.

If you create and log into a new admin user and it works fine that may be the case.

I would quit all open apps, ensure you have your Apple ID password then:

Open Keychain Access from Finder > Applications > Utilities.

In the search bar on the top right, search for each term individually and delete any entries or results in the Keychain, restart and test:

Terms:

ids

iMessage

Facetime

Appleid

Hope that helps! If not it could be something else such as a permissions issue, knowing if it works in another user account will help to identify if the problem is system wide, or confined to a particular user account, thanks.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2023 3:24 PM in response to candacevanlion

Hey again!

My best guess would be an issue with the local keychain.

If you create and log into a new admin user and it works fine that may be the case.

I would quit all open apps, ensure you have your Apple ID password then:

Open Keychain Access from Finder > Applications > Utilities.

In the search bar on the top right, search for each term individually and delete any entries or results in the Keychain, restart and test:

Terms:

ids

iMessage

Facetime

Appleid

Hope that helps! If not it could be something else such as a permissions issue, knowing if it works in another user account will help to identify if the problem is system wide, or confined to a particular user account, thanks.

Jun 16, 2023 12:09 AM in response to DiZoE

When I try to log in, I get the endless spinning pinwheel. When I try to log out I get the endless spinning pinwheel. I tried to log out about 8 hours ago, and that d#mned pinwheel is still spinning. It will not let me enter my name or phone number or anything else into Message settings. Understand that the VPN is NOT running on my MacBook Pro, and I've been having issues with Message for over a week. So, I don't think it's, like, a transient Apple thing. If it were any other app, I'd delete it and reinstall it, but I don't think I can do that with Apple's basic apps, no?

I cannot log into iMessages on my MacBook Pro. Works fine on other devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.