How to find blank cells in a range?

How can I find blank cells in a range, particularly if I am trying to look down a column for blanks in that column? I don’t care to know the position (if it’s it possible), I only care to know if there are blanks at all.

The “ISBLANK” formula only works for a single cell/value, not a range.

[This question is related to my other question, but I felt it was different enough that it deserved its own post for clarity. You can view my other post/question by clicking here.]

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 1:27 PM

HI PoF,

Here's one way:

The formula shown below the table is entered in cell B1, but could be placed elsewhere.

Column C shows a variation on the method.

C2 to C18 contain this formula: LEN(B2)<1

which checks the cell(s) in the same row of column B for 'no content', and returns true if there is nothing taking space in that cell.

C1 contains the same formula as B1, (shown above), with the arguments changed to count the 'true's in column C:

COUNTIF(C2:C18,true)

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 1:27 PM in response to PuddleOfFat

HI PoF,

Here's one way:

The formula shown below the table is entered in cell B1, but could be placed elsewhere.

Column C shows a variation on the method.

C2 to C18 contain this formula: LEN(B2)<1

which checks the cell(s) in the same row of column B for 'no content', and returns true if there is nothing taking space in that cell.

C1 contains the same formula as B1, (shown above), with the arguments changed to count the 'true's in column C:

COUNTIF(C2:C18,true)

Regards,

Barry

How to find blank cells in a range?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.