Anti glare wears off on my MBP 15 - questions before doing anything stupid

Hi allz,

Since i got this magnifique MBP 2015, I noticed stains on the screen which appear to be the anti glare that is wearing off. I looked at several forums and Youtube videos about it but there is one thing I am not sure, so before doing anything stupid or I might regret I rather ask you.

Based on the picture below, should I try to remove the area pointed with the arrow? It seems to me that the circled area already have no anti glare protection. Or is it on the contrary the white/grey area that is where the glare protection went off? Arhg I am not sure!

So the question is, do you think my screen is almost wore off the anti glare or it has started to get off (like only 20% considering the picture)? I am so confused on where is actually the remaining of the anti glare protection.

Sorry for the stupid question but I prefer to ask before I ruin my belle machine. My concern is that I end up with a screen that is all white/grey like in the middle of the screen or that my anti glare protection is still pretty good that I don't want to remove it even for the spots as I find it already quite reflective.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 5:39 PM

Unless that worn off area of the anti-glare coating affects you being able to use the laptop normally, then just let it alone. Who cares how it looks when the display is off....close the lid and forget about it.

It is possible to remove the anti-glare coating, or rather some of it anyway. You may end up in the other direction where half the screen has no coating and other areas are speckled with the coating.

The colors on the display will look a bit different without the coating.

Any method to attempt remove the anti-glare coating can lead to permanent damage of the Display due to accidental damage. I only remove the coating from our organization's laptops when it interferes with the usability of the laptop due to the risks involved. It is either remove the coating or scrap it. That is when I will make the attempt, and only then.

The best method I have found to remove the anti-glare coating is by using Clorox wipes. However, it is very important to wring out all the excess moisture from the wipes so that the liquid does not leak into the display at the glass edges. Plus the Clorox wipe can degrade the rubber gasket around the display and the adhesive holding the glass in place. I always start in the center of the Display so I can judge the amount of liquid remaining in the wipe and work my way to the edge as the wipe dries out. I will not go to the extreme edge so as not to risk damaging the rubber gasket or getting liquid past the edge of the glass.

Sometimes I will also use water dampened Baking Soda for an abrasive on the really tough spots.

Liquid is not the only way to damage the display. Excessive pressure from rubbing can cause the LCD Panel to crack, or cause color deformities.

In my experience the coating on your display as shown in the picture is not worn off enough so if you do attempt to remove the coating, then you will likely encounter significant areas where the coating will not rub off at this time. Personally, I would leave the coating alone at this time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 5:39 PM in response to etienne27

Unless that worn off area of the anti-glare coating affects you being able to use the laptop normally, then just let it alone. Who cares how it looks when the display is off....close the lid and forget about it.

It is possible to remove the anti-glare coating, or rather some of it anyway. You may end up in the other direction where half the screen has no coating and other areas are speckled with the coating.

The colors on the display will look a bit different without the coating.

Any method to attempt remove the anti-glare coating can lead to permanent damage of the Display due to accidental damage. I only remove the coating from our organization's laptops when it interferes with the usability of the laptop due to the risks involved. It is either remove the coating or scrap it. That is when I will make the attempt, and only then.

The best method I have found to remove the anti-glare coating is by using Clorox wipes. However, it is very important to wring out all the excess moisture from the wipes so that the liquid does not leak into the display at the glass edges. Plus the Clorox wipe can degrade the rubber gasket around the display and the adhesive holding the glass in place. I always start in the center of the Display so I can judge the amount of liquid remaining in the wipe and work my way to the edge as the wipe dries out. I will not go to the extreme edge so as not to risk damaging the rubber gasket or getting liquid past the edge of the glass.

Sometimes I will also use water dampened Baking Soda for an abrasive on the really tough spots.

Liquid is not the only way to damage the display. Excessive pressure from rubbing can cause the LCD Panel to crack, or cause color deformities.

In my experience the coating on your display as shown in the picture is not worn off enough so if you do attempt to remove the coating, then you will likely encounter significant areas where the coating will not rub off at this time. Personally, I would leave the coating alone at this time.

Jun 16, 2023 6:52 AM in response to HWTech

Right! So the coating is not so worn off, which is pretty good news actually. It does not affect much my usage of the mac, so I will leave it like this and see in the future when it's much more worn off to fix it myself. I read about the Clorox, Baking Soda, Listerine techniques so I will keep them in mind. But wait and see, I don't want to blunder the screen. Thanks ;)

Anti glare wears off on my MBP 15 - questions before doing anything stupid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.