I have a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I have not been able to update my system since high sierra!

Hi everyone. I have a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I have not been able to update my system since high sierra! So for 3 years! I have tried everything also creating space for the update, but last time i tried (intensely and not half heatedly haha) it was saying that this computer would not be able to update the new versions? Any suggestions on how I can make it better? I love my mac, it still runs smoothly. However, I must admit I'm not a tech nerd so Iøm sure there's something I can do?

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 1:31 AM

Frkvespertine Said:

"I have a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I have not been able to update my system since high sierra!"

-------

Review the following...

Updating the macOS:

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2023 1:31 AM in response to Frkvespertine

Frkvespertine Said:

"I have a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I have not been able to update my system since high sierra!"

-------

Review the following...

Updating the macOS:

Determining which Update(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Jun 16, 2023 1:54 AM in response to Frkvespertine

The 13" and 15" Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pros will run versions of macOS up through Big Sur.

You can get upgrades to Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur here:

How to download macOS - Apple Support

Before upgrading your Mac, make backups, and make sure that there's some free room on the drive that the installer can use to work.

Note that Catalina and Big Sur will not run 32-bit applications.

I have a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I have not been able to update my system since high sierra!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.