Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

How can an iPhone be blacklisted but not activation locked?

So i bought an iphone 12 from a guy on market place, thinking that im smart enough to no all tricks some people like to pull so i had him show me that it wasn,t locked (icloud locked) it coud be set up with out needing a previous apple id and it all checked out everything was good and working order, Then I got home...

the **** thing is networked locked to a carrier that i dont know and not only that it is also black listed??? Ihave know idea how it isn't icloud locked but yet blacklisted. Anyway moveing on i have heard off imei changeing. not sure of the legal issues or if it is even possible does anyone know anything about this plus how do i find out what carrier it is locked to soi can fix that as well? i mean i payed pretty good for this phone im hopeing i dont have to just eat it now witch im sure im goint to have to but grasping at hope. any one have any ideas id love to hear them thankyou.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 2:51 AM

4 replies

Jun 16, 2023 2:53 AM in response to theiralltaken

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their Apple ID.

Jun 16, 2023 2:53 AM in response to theiralltaken

To be able to use any SIM across the globe you must have "No SIM Restriction" against Network Provider Lock. Please refer to the pic below.

Carrier Lock:- Request your iPhone’s original Carrier to unlock your iPhone and if they agree and do it, then you may know the further process here --> How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier ...

Device Unlocking Policies | Verizon Privacy Policy

Unlock a Phone or Device - AT&T Device Unlock Portal

Unlocking your Sprint device - T-Mobile

FAQs about unlocking your Sprint device

Unlock Your Phone for Spectrum Mobile

Jun 16, 2023 3:22 AM in response to theiralltaken

Activation Lock is a feature implemented by Apple’s systems to deter theft. (Effectively, the device is prohibited from communicating w/ any of Apple’s systems or services)

Blacklisting is a feature implemented by carriers when a phone has been reported to them as stolen. (It prevents the device from connecting via the mobile network)

So these are two parallel functions; each implemented at a different “layer” by different entities.

If an iPhone was reported stolen to a carrier, and then subsequently deleted from the user’s AppleID … the result could be the behavior you’re observing.

Jun 16, 2023 3:04 AM in response to SravanKrA

it'ts not activation locked im actually useing it for everything but makeing phone calls because it cant connect it to any networks because its black listed as far as being the owner im not the original owner but its mine now its all in my name and apple id and everything how ever just dont know who it is carrier locked to and its blacklisted every thing else isright as rain

How can an iPhone be blacklisted but not activation locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.