Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why does the Magic Keyboard keep working after flipping the off switch? And for how long?

My rechargable Magic Keyboard will not turn off, even though I flip the off switch. The same behavior has been noted by other people. Does the switch not cut the power in some way?

While I was wondering how I then could clean my keyboard without turning off my Mac (Disconnecting did not work – it just reconnected as soon as I pressed a key. I tried opening an empty text document, so all the gibberish from my cloth wiping the keys would end up there, but there are a lot of function keys too...) I eventually got a "Keyboard disconnected" message. Does anybody else have experience with how long this lag typically is?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 2:00 PM

You have not answered the question that was asked. He said he turned off the switch as stated in the quoted document, but the keyboard remained on. I have the same problem, when you turn the switch off (green no longer showing), the keyboard remains on. I am presently typing this on my keyboard with the switch in the off position and it has been that way for at least 10 minutes, probably more like twenty. How can I get the keyboard to turn off? Is there some kind of delay or is my switch just broken? Don't recall having this problem in the past, but I do not always press a button within a short period of time, as I did this time in an attempt to clean it. Not sure mine is a Magic Keyboard but it is a bluetooth enabled Mac Keyboard. Shouldn't the off button disable the keyboard immediately?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2024 2:00 PM in response to dawngreg08

You have not answered the question that was asked. He said he turned off the switch as stated in the quoted document, but the keyboard remained on. I have the same problem, when you turn the switch off (green no longer showing), the keyboard remains on. I am presently typing this on my keyboard with the switch in the off position and it has been that way for at least 10 minutes, probably more like twenty. How can I get the keyboard to turn off? Is there some kind of delay or is my switch just broken? Don't recall having this problem in the past, but I do not always press a button within a short period of time, as I did this time in an attempt to clean it. Not sure mine is a Magic Keyboard but it is a bluetooth enabled Mac Keyboard. Shouldn't the off button disable the keyboard immediately?

Apr 18, 2024 6:55 AM in response to eplefrikk

Just had this happen to me too. It's actually very worrying as the switch is clearly not a hardware killswitch. This could have security implications imo. Why are Apple like this. It's like their laptops now, you shut them down, go to clean the keyboard and they turn back on with any push of a button, doesn't even need to be the power button. I went on Apple Support about this and you know what the guy said? "We don't recommend cleaning the keyboard"

Jun 17, 2023 6:30 PM in response to eplefrikk

Hello eplefrikk,

We understand you're having an issue with turning your Magic Keyboard off and we'd like to help out with that.

The paragraph below will help you with turning off the Magic Keyboard.

"The wireless Magic Keyboard included with your iMac has built-in features that make it easy to enter emoji, switch keyboard languages, lock your iMac, and perform many system functions with the touch of a key. The Magic Keyboard with Touch ID also lets you use a fingerprint to sign in and make purchases using Apple Pay.

The Magic Keyboard with Touch ID showing the row of function keys and Touch ID across the top, and the Function (Fn)/Globe key in the lower-left corner.

Turn the keyboard on or off. Slide the on/off switch on the back edge of the keyboard to turn it on the on/off switch (so green is visible) or off. If your keyboard isn’t recognized by your iMac, connect it to your iMac with the included USB-C to Lightning Cable to pair it, then disconnect the cable to use it wirelessly. Use the same cable to charge your keyboard."

More information about the Magic Keyboard can be found here: Magic Keyboard

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Mar 18, 2024 3:57 PM in response to dawngreg08

Green is on, not off. I have a Magic Mouse and a Magic Keyboard. The mouse only works when the switch is turned on to green.

Slide the on/off switch on the back edge of the keyboard to turn it on (so green is visible or on)

no green is off.

@dawngreg08 can you update your comment above to clarify? It seems this issues is still unresolved. Why is the keyboard staying on while switched to off or grey color showing?

Is there a keyboard issue?

Why does the Magic Keyboard keep working after flipping the off switch? And for how long?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.