Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my apple magic keyboard work with the switch turned off?

I notice that--having long-since paired my Magic Keyboard 2 (the rechargeable one) and Magic Trackpad 2--that while the switch on the back face of the trackpad does indeed turn OFF the trackpad, and it no longer works once I do that, that the switch on the back of my keyboard seems to have no affect at all on function.

In other words, I can turn off the switch on my rechargeable magic keyboard and it continues to work just fine.

Can anyone explain why this is? What function does the switch have? Just for pairing only? (Or do I have a defective--though working--keyboard?)

Thanks

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2018 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2018 1:28 PM

So of course they're speaking about the original (older) bluetooth keyboard, and I'm speaking about the newer rechargeable bluetooth keyboard. That said, it seems like Jeff was saying that (possibly) turning off the computer completely with the keyboard off, might cause it to not connect. Nope. I just tried it.

I completely turned off both the trackpad and keyboard switches (on these models they're slider switches on the back right of the raised portion--aluminum--back face). I then Shutdown my MBP, let it sit for several minutes, then booted it back up while leaving both the trackpad and keyboard switched off. Once the computer booted back up, the tapping on the bluetooth keyboard "woke it up" and it works fine now--with the SWITCH TURNED OFF.

Why is this? The trackpad, as I reported above, doesn't work until I flip the switch to turn it on. The keyboard works with it turned off. Essentially, the switch seems to have no affect on whether my keyboard works or not. I was just wondering why this is the case.

Thanks for your reply!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2018 1:28 PM in response to seventy one

So of course they're speaking about the original (older) bluetooth keyboard, and I'm speaking about the newer rechargeable bluetooth keyboard. That said, it seems like Jeff was saying that (possibly) turning off the computer completely with the keyboard off, might cause it to not connect. Nope. I just tried it.

I completely turned off both the trackpad and keyboard switches (on these models they're slider switches on the back right of the raised portion--aluminum--back face). I then Shutdown my MBP, let it sit for several minutes, then booted it back up while leaving both the trackpad and keyboard switched off. Once the computer booted back up, the tapping on the bluetooth keyboard "woke it up" and it works fine now--with the SWITCH TURNED OFF.

Why is this? The trackpad, as I reported above, doesn't work until I flip the switch to turn it on. The keyboard works with it turned off. Essentially, the switch seems to have no affect on whether my keyboard works or not. I was just wondering why this is the case.

Thanks for your reply!

why does my apple magic keyboard work with the switch turned off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.