How to repurchase an app that was refunded?

Is the only way to regain the ability to update a refunded app currently useable on my phone is to delete it?

I bought an app. It was refunded but remained useable on my phone. The App Store notified me the developer updated app. I want to update it. I’m afraid to delete it without confirmation that the App Store will recognize I deleted it from my phone and then allow me to repurchase it from the store.

As it is now, the app page in the store gives no option to update it because it recognizes the app as refunded. I’ve communicated with the developer who has no clue. Apple Support doesn’t give me the option to select the refunded app from my purchases/receipts and ask how I should proceed.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 7:35 AM

No. Link does not address my question.

App was purchased. Then refunded. After refund the app remained ueseable on my phone. Recently the developer updated the app. I received an App Store notification. But the App Store will not allow me to update it. Attempting to do so, it states the reason it can not be updated is because the app has been refunded (or was bought with a different Apple ID, which it was not).

I am willing to delete the app if someone can confirm this will cause the App Store allow me to repurchase it. Even the developer does not know the answer to this question and claims they are lucky if Apple responds to their inquires.

The app works. I want to update it. I have no problem repurchasing it. I am concerned that if I do delete the app, the App Store will perpetually recognize the app as refunded and will not give me the option to repurchase it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2023 7:35 AM in response to Katana-San

No. Link does not address my question.

App was purchased. Then refunded. After refund the app remained ueseable on my phone. Recently the developer updated the app. I received an App Store notification. But the App Store will not allow me to update it. Attempting to do so, it states the reason it can not be updated is because the app has been refunded (or was bought with a different Apple ID, which it was not).

I am willing to delete the app if someone can confirm this will cause the App Store allow me to repurchase it. Even the developer does not know the answer to this question and claims they are lucky if Apple responds to their inquires.

The app works. I want to update it. I have no problem repurchasing it. I am concerned that if I do delete the app, the App Store will perpetually recognize the app as refunded and will not give me the option to repurchase it.

How to repurchase an app that was refunded?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.