Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Prevent App Store from making me put in a credit card for a free app?

Stop asking for my credit card number, every time I try to download an app that is free Apple always ask me for credit card information, how do I remove this from my phone?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 11:50 PM

I’ve done all this and tried to remove it and it won’t let me. I can’t download apps. What should I do?

41 replies

Jun 16, 2023 6:55 AM in response to anissa46

Apple asks for your payment information when you create a new Apple ID or try to download an app that is not available in your country or region. However, you can remove your payment information from your phone by following these steps:

1. Open the 'Settings' app on your iPhone.

2. Tap on your Apple ID at the top of the screen.

3. Tap on 'Payment & Shipping'.

4. Tap on your payment method, and then tap 'Remove Payment Method'.

5. Confirm that you want to remove your payment method.

Once you have removed your payment information, you should be able to download free apps without being asked for your payment information.

I hope this helps!

Dec 8, 2023 1:24 AM in response to anissa46

Every time I give Apple my credit card I get a ton of charges. So this is what I did, I went and got a Visa gift card so I didn’t have to have my good credit cards and some app where I could be hacked or charged at will. You can also use a pay-as-you-go such as green dot or blue bird so you can regulate the charges without having limits you’re not comfortable with. You can put up to $500 on a gift card and I think even more on a pay as you go. Hope that helps.

Nov 26, 2023 1:05 PM in response to maissa1

Maissa1 - You cannot use the Apple Store freely unless you have a payment method added to your Apple ID. Please check these approved payment methods. Maybe something else will work for you.

Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

This link specifically mentions Egypt:

Egypt

• Most credit and debit cards
  • Apple Account balance (from adding funds)
  • Mobile phone billing5
    • Vodafone

Keep in mind, you are talking to other Apple users in this community forum. We are not Apple. Many of us volunteer to help other Apple users with technical questions. We can explain what Apple's rules are. But we cannot change the rules. You can try telling Apple what you want in the link below. But I doubt they will change this specific rule.

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 8, 2023 1:34 AM in response to anissa46

I purchased Visa gift cards. I also have pay as you go carts and I use them for all my online transactions and for my phone for any apps that way if it’s hacked, it’s a small amount of money and I don’t have to stress about somebody having access to a credit card that has tens of thousands of dollars available. It will help me sleep at night. I hope it helps you. They have from $25 up to 500 on prepaid Visa’s gift cards and a pay is ago. I think you can even put more on there and keep refilling it. This has prevented a lot of charges that I never authorized. I did not have to close my account or report fraud or cut up my card. It really has save me from an unauthorized, even fraudulent charges.

Apr 30, 2024 3:47 PM in response to Ecalamuneca

If you don't want to put a payment method on your account you won't be able to use the App Store to download or update apps. There is no way around this. Free apps are indeed free, but they offer In-App Purchases, which is the ONLY way app developers make ANY money for providing their apps for free. You don't EVER have to make an In-App Purchase, which will be easy as you won't be able to download any apps anyway, unless you put a payment method on your account.

Jan 21, 2024 1:12 PM in response to Emily__457

Emily__457 wrote:

So whenever I’m trying to download any game it doesn’t matter if it is free or not he keeps asking me for my credit card information and I don’t really want my card information to be on my phone, so why does it keep asking me this even if it’s a free app

Then stop trying to download games or apps. And you won't be asked for a payment method. Virtually ALL free apps have what are called "In-App Purchase Options." If an app you want to download has these options, then a payment method is required. You NEVER have to buy anything, but you simply can't have the game or app without a payment method. If you don't want to have a credit card tied to your account, you cannot circumvent the requirement. So the only solution for you will be stop trying to download these games or apps.

Prevent App Store from making me put in a credit card for a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.