Safari changing zoom level of pages.

Since I recently upgraded to Ventura I have noticed that sometimes just moving the cursor across a page will cause the page to reformat at a high zoom level. The setting for the page still say it is at 100%, which is correct. I can often fix this by going to another page and then returning to the original one.

Any suggestions?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 8:35 AM

it seems to me that you may have discovered "smart zoom". you can try going into System Settings > Mouse. then in the "Point & Click" tab, turn off "smart zoom".

but if that is the issue, you may want to try and get used to how it works. since I've started using it, I have wonder how I ever lived without it.

3 replies

Jun 16, 2023 9:20 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I turned off smart zoom to see if the behavior goes away. If it does, I may turn it back on and look into smart zoom. Smart zoom says it is done by double tapping with one finger. This happens when I just move the cursor across the screen. As far as I am aware I was not tapping anything. Also, once zoomed in, I could find no action that would zoom it out to its original size.

Jun 16, 2023 9:40 AM in response to Karl999

Karl999 wrote:

Smart zoom says it is done by double tapping with one finger. This happens when I just move the cursor across the screen. As far as I am aware I was not tapping anything.

smart zoom is very sensitive. even though you are not deliberately double tapping, the mouse can "think" that you did. :)

Also, once zoomed in, I could find no action that would zoom it out to its original size.

it just takes another double tap. but it can at times zoom in even more. you can use the double tap to get it to eventually zoom back to 0%. it may take more than one to get you back to there.

Safari changing zoom level of pages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.