Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why can I not answer an old question?

When you search "How to disable autosave in Numbers" you get a huge list of people asking the same question over and over again.

On this forum, the last time it was asked (and no valid response given) was Jan, 2023.

When I attempt to ANSWER the question - which is still being asked by many people - it says "ask a new question".

How is it not foolish to flood the search engines with hundreds of "no answer in THIS post" and not even allow someone to PROVIDE the answer? This whole movement about "zombie threads" is ruining the internet.

Sadly, even ChatGPT 4.0 also doesn't know the answer and I can't update THAT, EITHER. so no way to help my fellow Mac user. I truly miss the old internet where we helped one another.

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 11:03 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 16, 2023 1:58 PM in response to frozenjim

Have you tried:

Open the most recent message asking the question.

Copy the question.

Open a NEW 'Ask the Community' question form.

Give it an appropriate name.

Paste the copied question into the new message.

At this point you could either answer the question (and add a brief message explaining why you are answering a question you have just asked),

OR post the question, then answer it in a second message.

OR post the question, wait for 12 to 24 hours, then post your answer as a reply to the question.

Not something I'd recommend (or do) in ordinary cases, but it could prove useful under the circumstances you describe.

Regards,

Barry

Jun 16, 2023 1:19 PM in response to frozenjim

Community questions become read-only after some Apple determined lapse of time.

Regardless of Preview, Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, once you manually save a document once, then autosave is enabled and will only happen every few seconds when it determines changes are in the buffer. Autosave cannot be disabled from within these applications.

However, you can prevent autosave with System Preference/Settings changes.

Ventura

System Settings > Desktop & Dock : Windows & Apps : Ask to keep changes when closing documents (=⦿)

Monterey and earlier

System Preferences > General : Ask to keep changes when closing documents

You will see a black dot appear in the above applications red titlebar icon indicating that no autosave is operational and you will be relegated to manual saves which will temporarily clear that black dot in that icon. There is greater risk of losing data using this configuration than the autosave protection.

Jun 16, 2023 1:22 PM in response to VikingOSX

Yeah, like some of the other posters in the original chat, I do not have that option.

The correct answer is to simply attempt to save it and when prompted that this document cannot save revisions, tell it that's OK and to not ask again.

Once you've done that, it never asks again.

If one wanted it to be more of a default, I suspect you simply modify your default template with the same system and from now on, no more auto-saves.

It's just too bad I cannot share this with those who were asking the question and abandoned the post.

Why can I not answer an old question?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.