Mac Catalina 10.15 Spotlight error "privacy list error" prohibits removing a source I want to search

Mac Catalina 10.15 error "privacy list error" prohibits removing a source I want to search (which is my admin folder)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 16, 2023 6:22 PM

9 replies

Jun 17, 2023 4:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply.

I did the "get info" for user/home folder STEVE (me; only user and have admin privileges); unlocked the little padlock and selected apply to all. Progress appears to show all 9,000 files but did not resolve the problem.

Then I selected USERS and did a "get info," unlocked and saw that "system" had r/w but admin type users (me) were read only. When I tried to change r/w for admin, I get the error msg The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission.

Also did Mac OS restore.

I note that in the SPOTLIGHT "Privacy" tab, I see user/folder "STEVE" shown (which is the Do-not-search-here) and selecting the "-" (minus sign) to remove that folder gives a similar message "Privacy List Error"

Jul 10, 2023 9:25 AM in response to Singerstevenb

First this is a thank you to all the good folks who offered solutions and provides you all an update.

None of that worked- I NOW KNOW WHY and offer it as a sharing.

My "HOME" folder showed in the SystemPreferences>Spotlight>Privacy folder and I was not able to remove same. Finally gave up and did a Mac OS system restore and spotlight works perfectly.

Don't know how HOME was flagged for do not seach but thank you to all who tried.

Mac Catalina 10.15 Spotlight error "privacy list error" prohibits removing a source I want to search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.